Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Types of fish to add

995 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mcdaphnia 
#1 ·
I have a 125 gallon 6 foot tank that has 9 Burundi Frontosa that range from about 3 to maybe just under 5 inches long...4 White Calvus around 3 to 4 inches each, 1 Julidichromis around 3 inches, and 1 small Yellow Comp around 2 inches

I know the fronts will continue to grow, but are there any other Tang fish I can add in here

I have 1 Leleupi but he was aggressively chasing the fronts when they were smaller so I moved him to another tank
One LFS owner said a group of Leleupi might just be better as they would concentrate on eachother instead of the other fish

If not Leleupi, what other possible tank mates to liven up the tank a bit

#2 ·
The problem faced by keeping Frontosa is that they get quite large, and many fish that are compatible as juveniles become meals as the Frontosa get large. When I kept Frontosa, I had many of the same fish you had, and in fact the Leleupi and Compressiceps were quite good tankmates. Ultimately, all the Leleupi disappeared though. I also kept a shoal of giant danios in that tank, which provided some movement, but most of them disappeared also.

If you really want a lively tank, you might think about keeping something other than Frontosa. I might also add that the 125 will be quite crowded if all of the 9 fish are kept. Hopefully, it will be possible to end up with 1 or 2 males and 4 or 5 females.

#3 ·
Although you can use dividers and keep a group of fronts in a "small tank" like yours, tankmates will end up food. In a big tank, like the 520 gallon (2000 liter) I used to keep frontosa in, there might be some large non-cichlid species like really big tinfoil barbs or black "sharks" that would be too fast and quite able to defend themselves, but I never saw the need to try it. As the fronts grow they will develop more "personality" or interesting behaviors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.