Cichlid Fish Forum banner

calvus colony - how big can it be?

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Tetlee 
#1 ·
Hello

I'm a new member here (keeping and breeding fish for 25 years).

I plan on building a big tank for calvus.
I absolutely love these fish.
They are the leopards of the fish kingdom - elegant and majestic ambush predators.

There might be some other fish as well, but a big calvus colony is to be the main attraction of the tank.
Any other fish will have to get along with the calvus and their demands (food, territories, etc.), or it will not be in the tank.

Tank is 90 cm X 60 cm X 60 cm (3 ft X 2 ft X 2 ft)
There are many rocks/flower pots/pipes to provide hiding places.

The question is how many calvus could fit in there?
I'm planing on about 10-15 adult calvus - is it possible?
Does a group of 2 males and 10-12 females sound O.K?
Will it be better to have the 10-12 females with only one (very happy) male?
Any other M/F ratio?
(to achieve the desired M/F ratio I'll probably have start with 20-30 juveniles, and thin the group gradually)

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
A quad of mature calvus would do nicely in that size tank. Also, tank size not withstanding, you can either go with one male OR three+ males. Two males usually doesn't work long term.

You are going to need to have a 6 foot+ long tank to begin to have room for the numbers you are contemplating. If it were me with that altolamp addiction, it would be a six foot tank with two species of altolamps:
8 A. calvus (3m/5f)
8 A. comps (3m/5f)

Start with 12 to 15 fry of each. It will be eons before you will need to thin them out.

And no, they will, most likely, NOT hybridize with these ratios. They will completely ignore each other even at spawning times.

Altolamps are excellent Tang community fish. You will have a lot of choices for tank mates. Here's a few to start the discussion:
- Julies
- Cyps
- Shellies
- Syno cats
- Maybe one tret????

Hope that helps!

Russ

#3 ·
Razzo said:
A quad of mature calvus would do nicely in that size tank. Also, tank size not withstanding, you can either go with one male OR three+ males. Two males usually doesn't work long term.

You are going to need to have a 6 foot+ long tank to begin to have room for the numbers you are contemplating. If it were me with that altolamp addiction, it would be a six foot tank ...
Precisely stated - addiction it is!
Unfortunately, a 6 ft tank is not an option.
I might be able stretching it to 120 cm (4 ft) in a couple of years, but this is the upper limit.

What would be the problem with 1 male and 10 females?
Does each female claims it's own territory?
Is there inter-female aggression in calvus?

Thanks

#4 ·
Yes, mine always claimed some territory (a shell).

3' x 2' x 2' huh? Well then,... "give it a go mate" and see what happens ;)

Over stocking is one method of aggression control, I guess. If you start with 15 fry, it'll be a few years before you need to act (most likely).

#6 ·
Calvus are amazing fish. I have four which I purchased as juvies, pretty sure I have 1 male/3 females but there is a definite pair as they've bred twice now(currently have the barnacles with eggs seperated in a net as the Julie was persistant in tucking into the eggs as it did the last time. My aquarium is 6ft and the now distinctly larger male is pretty restrictive on the females and hogs around 2/3rds of the centre area of the tank and doesn't allow the females within that area much, aside from when he accepts the paired female for breeding where he becomes quite protective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.