Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Neolamp Büescheri

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  andrewe1985 
#1 ·
Hi
I purchased what was said to be a pair of Neolamp Büescheri but it seems they were 2 of the same sex as one was chased into a corner of the tank and bullied a lot.

my question is how should I go about adding more to the tank to try and produce a pair.
the design of the tank is at one end of the tank is a rock pile with small rock pill at the other end with the filter the tank.

#2 ·
There is a very real possibility that they are a male and a female, but that doesn't necessarily make them a pair. Pairing fish choose the fish they want to mate with, you cant just put any M/F together and get a pair. In a large enough tank with enough site breaks you can sometimes get one M and one F to pair, but he better option is to start with a group of 6 and let them pair on their own. Making sure their are multiple distinct rock piles with space between them may help too. What size tank are they in?

#5 ·
andrewe1985 said:
They were on there own in a 2x18x12
The tank is far too small to pair these guys up, and I doubt they would be happy on their own anyway. Chances are, if they are just two fish, one is going to end up dead in such a tank.

I would move them to a larger tank, and try and pair them up there. I would also include tank mates, to distract them and give them something else to focus on, besides pounding on each other.

#9 ·
Height is almost always an irrelevant number for most cichlids... there are exceptions, Cyprichromis, angels... but really it is almost always going to be footprint.

FWIW, my current buescheri are in a 180cm x 60cm footprint tank. This group is young, but it appears I have three pairs, and an oddball female.

#11 ·
andrewe1985 said:
I Have a chance to get 1 36x15x15" would that be fine for a single pair in the end.
In the end yes... but you want to pair them in something larger most likely. If you can't go larger, you want that tank packed with flat rocks, top to bottom, all around the tank. Plus throw in some fish like I've listed, for them to concentrate on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.