Cichlid Fish Forum banner

algae issue

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
hey guys i got my 20 long set up with 7 multies and im loving watching them re-scape the tank to the way they like it!
i noticed a little bit of algae growing and wanna stop it before it gets to crazy, any one dealt with this kind of algae before? or have a way of fighting it?

its on the rock in the right and a little to the left of the bottom shell.

i have a 55 with the same algae, but its a little more out of control

See less See more
#3 ·
It does look like a slime cyanobacteria. Unlike real algae it will be almost immune to total light blackouts. The quick and temporary way is to use antibiotics like Erythromycin. However without added oxygenation and the removal of organic wastes from the aquarium it will rebound quickly and could well be resistant to the next antibiotic treatment. Adding airstones, a spray bar, or increasing surface ripples will make the aquarium less inviting to cyano. Physically removing as much cyanobacteria and organic waste as possible will make it harder to grow back because you also remove some of the nutrients it needs. Some if not all of the non-antibiotic treatments now being sold advise taking those steps as part of the treatment.

#5 ·
Mcdaphnia said:
It does look like a slime cyanobacteria. Unlike real algae it will be almost immune to total light blackouts. The quick and temporary way is to use antibiotics like Erythromycin. However without added oxygenation and the removal of organic wastes from the aquarium it will rebound quickly and could well be resistant to the next antibiotic treatment. Adding airstones, a spray bar, or increasing surface ripples will make the aquarium less inviting to cyano. Physically removing as much cyanobacteria and organic waste as possible will make it harder to grow back because you also remove some of the nutrients it needs. Some if not all of the non-antibiotic treatments now being sold advise taking those steps as part of the treatment.
Reading this I literally just realized I haven't have had any issues with cyno since I switched all my tanks to a central air system. Never realized there was a connection. Good to know.

#7 ·
Mcdaphnia said:
Plus one.

#9 ·
I had break out of that stuff, tried upping water changes also blacked the tank out for a week and it still came back. I used the Erythromycin and it was gone in a day. Not sure what set it off? The tank is 2+ years old and my regime for cleaning has stayed the same. I am feeding less and sifting the sand more so hopefully it will stay away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.