Cichlid Fish Forum banner

What size tank for my Brevis?

950 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jayhawk 
#1 ·
Quick background story, I had a 55 gallon with 6 Brevis. I ended up killing them due to a poorly executed water change on my part. I sold the 55 gallon, and in the process of cleaning it out I found a ton of Brevis fry. I raised them in a 5 gallon, and eventually moved the ones that made it into a 75 gallon. They're now 22 adults, about 5 years old now, along with two albino BN plecos in my 75.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I picked up a 125 gallon I just couldn't say no to. My intention was to replace the 75 with the 125 and move everything over, but now I'm thinking I want to go saltwater with the 125, however I can't keep both the 75 and the 125. What I can do, however, it get a smaller tank for the Brevis maybe, and move them into another room of the house.

Could I comfortably fit my fish into something like a 33 long, or a 40, or maybe even a 20 long?? They stay pretty much in the mid to lower part of the tank, so I could probably lose some height and be okay.. and they rarely venture to the other side of the 75 (they all pretty much live in one half of the tank).

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
A 40 sounds a little tight for 24 adult fish, even such small ones as yours. A few 20 highs could be stacked in a small area and you could split up the group. I've seen a pair of multies spawning in one of those desk top micro tanks. A pair of brevis would probably show breeding behaviors in a 15 gallon tank. But then what do you do with the other 20 adult brevis....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.