Cichlid Fish Forum banner

20g long stocking and other ?'s

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
I'll be picking up a 20 long this weekend. I have a 10g now with 1 masked julie. Unfortunately his tank pH is different than my tap (due to an air bar blowing off chemicals and raising pH) causing me to do painfully slow water changes. I really really want to get him into the 20 long this summer with (hopefully) a few other species.

My ?'s
1)I love my little guy so I only want the best for him, I'm looking to get a few other masked julie's but I want another species or two as well that I can trust WILL NOT eat him.

2) I don't want to mess with my tap pH, it's 7.4. I can't bear the slow water changes esp on a larger tank. Acclimated properly will they be ok with this pH?

3) Will a 40 gallon filter provide enough aeration for bottom dwelling fish? I don't want them to suffer from deadspots and lack of oxygen, at the same time the air stone/bar is what is causing my dreaded water changes so I'd really like to avoid that.

#3 ·
1-Julidochromis are a pairing fish. Buy six unsexed juveniles and remove the extras once a pair forms and the pair tries to kill the others.
2-7.4 is OK if it is stable, what is your KH?
3-what is the GPH of the 40G filter. You want 8X to 10X hourly turnover.

Do you know which masked juli (Julidochromis transcriptus) you have? Some are aggressive.

I agree with shellies as a tank mate. I would stick to 2 species though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.