Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Calvus or Comps with Shellies?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  The Dude315 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I currently have a 29 gallon with 8 n. multies (adults), 1 t. moorii (juvenile) and 8 cyp. leptosoma (juveniles). The moorii kinda freaks out the multies and cyps so I am thinking of moving him. If I move the moorii, can I get a few (2 or 3) Alto. calvus OR Alto. comp in the tank? I've read that calvus get 5" while comps get 4", so theres not too much of a size difference between the two species. I'm ok if the altos munch on a few fry, I just dont want them going after the adults (multies or cyps). Thanks in adv!

#2 ·
I have always kept calvus and compressiceps in large tanks. They are very sensitive to ammonia so for me large tank is a help in keeping them. I feed them small livebearers such as baby guppies, by keeping female guppies in the tank with them. The males usually get eaten. So I would extrapolate that any small female shellie venturing too far from her shell would be at risk but the males are larger and would be fairly safe.

#5 ·
I agree that your tank isn't sufficient to be adding more fish, and the Tropheus does need to go.

I have kept wild Altos, calvus and comps... with males up to 5" in with Neolamprologus multifasciatus... never lost an adult to them. This is in keeping them three separate times, over about 10-12 years.

#6 ·
Fogelhund said:
I agree that your tank isn't sufficient to be adding more fish, and the Tropheus does need to go.

I have kept wild Altos, calvus and comps... with males up to 5" in with Neolamprologus multifasciatus... never lost an adult to them. This is in keeping them three separate times, over about 10-12 years.
What is the minimum tank length that you have had success with? Did the multi colony continue to grow?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.