Cichlid Fish Forum banner

enatiopus kilesa

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Razzo 
#1 ·
Hi all ... I have never kept enatiopus kilesa. For those of you that have kept them, what can you tell me about them? Are they hard to keep?

I have a 135 gallon tank with some rock work. Current inhabitants are a pair of 5" Limnochromis Auritus, a pair of 3" Neolamprologus Buescheri, 10 4+" tri-color cyps, trio of 2.5-3" black calvus, one gold head comp, 4 maleri julies, a pair of punks, one 3" tret, and 5 petricola cats. Will a pair enatipus kilesa work in this set up? Do they do ok as a pair or is it best to keep a group? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

- Mike

#2 ·
#3 ·
They are, by far, the most active Tang species I have ever kept. Very entertaining fish to watch. I wouldn't do just a pair as you would miss out on a lot of interesting behaviors. You can't have too big of a tank with these guys. I think a 5 to 6 foot tank would be great and in the biggest width you can find. A large pit could easily have an 18" to 24" radius. The male will build these pits/sand castles and will maintain it trying to lure females into it and they do this by displaying. It is non stop action. They will drive males out, try to lure females in and tiddie up their pit all at the same time. They are a hoot to watch! If your tank is long enough, you can have multiple males displaying at the same time. Definitely need to secure the top of a kilesa tank as they are missiles and will spook and launch easily.

Do a search in this forum with me as the author and kilesa and you will find lots of pics from me.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/128471948@N02/M1v556

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.