Cichlid Fish Forum banner

shell dwellers ?

4K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  deddy89 
#1 ·
I got an extra tank with a craigslist deal awhile ago and my wife has been wanting to get another fish tank set up in our bedroom!!!!

the tank is 30" long, 10" wide and 17" tall, some google searching shows it being around 20 gallons.
I think id like to set up a shell dweller tank, but just want to get peoples input before making the commitment.

my plan would be sand with a good amount of shells, maybe a river rock pile in a corner for appearance and some live plants. A whisper 10 hob filter and a sponge filter or two.

any stocking ideas? and do the big box pet stores carry shell dwelling cichlids? the few mom and pop stores around me are gonna be tough to get to this next week or so due to the PGA open being played in town.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Check out my thread about setting up my Tang tanks. I just got my Multi's today and they are settling into my 11.4 gallon. I'm really enjoying them. It was difficult to get them and none of my local places could even get them. I ended up getting them from an enthusiast and had them shipped. They arent as easy to find as other Tangs, but really entertaining

#7 ·
People usually started with 6 juvie Multies to make sure they get males and females.

To be safe, I started with 8 mature Multies and didn't have any spawnings even after several months. Then I asked the seller what the possibility I got all males was. He said he picked the 8 biggest ones in his tank for me, and it turned out that the males Multies are bigger than the females. So I ordered another 4 smallers ones, which turned out to be females because I got spawns after a month.

Based on this, I suggest if you can get various size of them, and not just taking the biggest ones, to make sure there are mixed of males and females.

#8 ·
Als49 said:
People usually started with 6 juvie Multies to make sure they get males and females.

To be safe, I started with 8 mature Multies and didn't have any spawnings even after several months. Then I asked the seller what the possibility I got all males was. He said he picked the 8 biggest ones in his tank for me, and it turned out that the males Multies are bigger than the females. So I ordered another 4 smallers ones, which turned out to be females because I got spawns after a month.

Based on this, I suggest if you can get various size of them, and not just taking the biggest ones, to make sure there are mixed of males and females.
OK cool, that is good to know. ill have to see if i can find some local to maybe pick and choose. whats an average price for multies?
i just ordered 2 dozen shells from amazon, do you think that's enough for 6-8 multies? Do you think maybe 2 species would be OK in a 30" long tank? if so do you have any recommendations

#9 ·
Those shells should be enough for a while before they start multiplying :)

I'm not sure if you can add other fish there since a colony of multies is quite territorial. In my multies' tank, the julies and comps are never allowed to leave the rock works into the shell bed area. While in my other tank, the julies and comps can swim all around.

Perhaps you can pull it off if you can create separate areas of tall rock works and shell bed, so each fish occupy different territories. For example I separated the front and rear area of my tank since it's 18" wide. I don't know if 10" is wide enough though.

Many people also say I was lucky to get 3 adult julies spawn in the tank because usually there will be only 1 pair of julies in 1 tank.

#11 ·
Als49 said:
Those shells should be enough for a while before they start multiplying :)

I'm not sure if you can add other fish there since a colony of multies is quite territorial. In my multies' tank, the julies and comps are never allowed to leave the rock works into the shell bed area. While in my other tank, the julies and comps can swim all around.

Perhaps you can pull it off if you can create separate areas of tall rock works and shell bed, so each fish occupy different territories. For example I separated the front and rear area of my tank since it's 18" wide. I don't know if 10" is wide enough though.

Many people also say I was lucky to get 3 adult julies spawn in the tank because usually there will be only 1 pair of julies in 1 tank.

i finished the set up, i got 3 dozen shells from amazon.com and took some river rock from another tank, i stuck in some water sprite for now im planning on getting some more plants soon! i need to get a new light aswell this is just a temp light until i get a new one

#16 ·
should be getting 6 multies tomorrow from judyok and im super excited!

and in other news i noticed my Labidochromis caeruleus in my community tank holding! i thought she might have a small batch since shes stil pretty small herself but i was wrong! she had 19 eggs!!

#19 ·
I would pile the shells up on each other and closer together

I started with 6 shellies in a 22 gallon tank and a year and half later I have about 50 in that tank

They keep spawning and babies always seem to be showing up

eventually I may have to sell them back to fish store as I am getting swamped but they are great fish to have

#21 ·
plug said:
I would pile the shells up on each other and closer together

I started with 6 shellies in a 22 gallon tank and a year and half later I have about 50 in that tank

They keep spawning and babies always seem to be showing up

eventually I may have to sell them back to fish store as I am getting swamped but they are great fish to have
great ill move them closer, i might just order another pack of shells actually since i place them and within few days they re arrange hahah

judyok- im trying my best!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.