Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Mixing Cichlids HELP

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
I relocated from Seattle to New New Jersey about a year ago. I decided not to relocate my fish at the time due to the trauma the fish might endure with their size. Within the past 3 months I have set up my new tank and this time decided to be more specific on what I want within it unlike the last tank that was a gift. From advice and research I started it with a few tetra, small red tail fish and about 8 corys for bottom feeding. This was to basically start the bio system. I then introduced three clown loaches and 1 Frontosa (juvenile Burundi I believe). The bio system seemed a little off so I bought two plecos. It appeared to be stabilized for about a month and a half.

Friday as a gift I was given two more small frontosas (same size as the current one) AND 3 Venustus (same size as the frontosas). So in my 150 gallon tank I currently have the following:

4 Tetra (I know these will eventually be food)
5 redtails (eventually food as well)
5 corys
2 plecos
3 clown loaches
3 fronts
3 venustus

Last night my fiancé posted a video of the tank on FB and someone mentioned that I had made a drastic mistake with the Venustus in the tank. He said the Venustus will kill everything! Including the Frontosas. He said that in no way should I ever mix Malawi and Tanganyika cichlids together. However I've seen plenty of Frontosa tanks with Venustus and Peacock fish in them. My thought is with them being juveniles perhaps the tank will be fine. Is this wishful thinking?

Have I made a mistake and need to remove the Venustus now? Currently no tail nipping. The original Front was upset about his territory but with a little rearranging of the tank he has become distracted. All seems well so far? :-? HELP!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would not mix them, as stated in my reply to your other post. What are the dimensions of your 150G? I'd expect them to both survive but neither to be happy.

I'd remove the cories too.

Frontosa are happiest in a species tank with lots of frontosa, but there are some Tanganyikan tankmates that they can live relatively happily with if you want a mix.

Just seeing a tank on FaceBook does not mean it has been successful long term.

#4 ·
They are all Tanganyikan, but the best guarantee of success is a species tank with a large group of frontosa. They are among the more colorful Tangs.

Altolamprologus like calvus or comps are known to do well. Various shades of black and white...a favorite of mine. Tribal look. Some of the comps have an orange or gold tinge.

Lepidiolamprologus kendalli are suggested occasionally. Again black and white.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.