Cichlid Fish Forum banner

More Marlieri matters

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  triscuit 
#1 ·
My female Julie marlieri Kasanga seems to have bred. Her tube was down yesterday, she was far more aggressive and defending her crack under a rock. She still does not seem to be friends with the male though. She tolerates him at best. They are in a 6' tank with a few swordtails and 6 Haplotaxodon trifasciatus. The question is, would a female lay eggs on her own without the male or have I probably just missed the male doing his stuff?
I know that some other fish will lay without a male present (e.g. fronts) just not had that much julie experience.

#2 ·
Sure... the eggs could be unfertilized or maybe she only cooperated long enough for the male to do his business. My marlieri had a good marriage, though my transcriptus had a much more contentious relationship. In both cases though, the females were in charge.

As fish start to breed in captivity, it seems to take them a try or two to figure it out. Your marlieri should figure it out in time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.