Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Tang Community Tank Setup

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Floridagirl 
#1 ·
So I've recently completed my first tank setup, a 75G Mbuna tank, and we've successfully made it through the first couple of weeks, yay! However, I am needing an isolation/hospital tank and so I've been scouring the local craigslist ads and have been unable to shake the new MTS bug and I think I'll end up with another tank to set up full time, this time a Tang community tank! I don't have a 4' spot to work with, so I think it will end up being a 3' tank, but it will definitely be 18" deep front to back, as my Mbuna tank was only 15" and was a bit limiting.

I've read many threads here on Tang community setups. I know I'd like Multis in the shells (looking for a colonizing shellie, for sure), some Calvus or Comps (I like their shape, and they seem interchangeable in terms of species, any preferences for one or the other in this setup? I'll start with them small and all one type and let them grow out), and the small Julies (the yellow ones are cool, as are the dark black and white ones, but I'll take whatever I can find). The 3' tank will be too small for Cyps, and I'm not sure I want paracyps. I think the 3 species tank will work, but I've read on several occasions "with careful hardscape setup" and I was wondering if I could get some feedback/specific guidance on depth of sand bed for shellies (and maybe type of shells to get?), and rockpile/hardscape/territory setup based on a 36" x 18" by 18"H tank for 2 rock dwellers with one shellie species. I like the idea of a top level swimmer/dither, but unlike Mbuna, it sounds like I could add them later if the need seemed evident. I'd be leaning towards rainbows probably, or maybe Danios.

It will probably have an HOB filter, as a the lower level of the stand will have my hospital tank on it. Will a single HOB provide enough flow/movement? I've got 2 canisters now and no need for extra powerheads in that tank, but do have a couple of wavemakers sitting around just in case. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a cool plan! A single HOB should be fine, I would do an AC 70 you can get it on ebay for 48 bucks.

#3 ·
Id do lots of rocks across one side and halfway-3/4 across the back , and a shell bed with about 100 turbo or escargot shells in the opposite front corner. Leave open sand between the two areas. Or rocks in each back corner, and shell bed front and center.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.