Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Stock list for 20 gallon long.

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Demasoni1 
#1 ·
I have a 20 long that I am considering stocking with Tanganyika species.

Do I need a bigger tank?

I will say that I am not very experienced with Tanganyika cichlids as most of my cichlid keeping has been with Malawi cichlids. I have looked through the cookie cutter setups and am looking for something different. That being said, give me your advice and a stock list.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

#4 ·
I would do a species only Tanganyika cichlid in a 20L, though adding some non-Tang dithers is also an option. Any one species of the shell dwelling cichlids would be perfect.
ex-Neolamprologus caudopunctatus is an attractive cichlid that will use the whole tank and spawns in mostly rocks but also large shells.
ex-Neolamprologus similis is another nice looking striped cichlid that spawns in shells and forms a loose colony.

Check out the Library article on Shell Dwellers for additional recommendations. I have or have had many of the shell dwellers and find them entertaining in their behavior. There are also smaller Tang cichlids that would work in a 20L tank, such as Julidochromis.

#10 ·
GTZ said:
If you can buy them sexed, a pair, otherwise I'd stock multiples and wait for a pair to form. You need to act quickly once this happens and remove the extras. They'll likely be near the top of the tank.
After keeping Africans 2 1/2 years you get used to finding them that way :thumb:

I will try to get a hold of some though my LFS. But I haven't been able to find any at some of the other pet stores.

If someone could send me a pm with a few web sites, that would be great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.