Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Baby Multipuncatus ;)

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Marconi 
#1 ·
I know its a catfish...but so many of us have these guys mixed with our Africans :) It was super cool seeing these little guys swimming amongst the rocks....great fish to keep and worth every penny.

#4 ·
Nice :)

Got 7 in one of my tanks. Absolutely love them.

Any idea which fish was the host?

#6 ·
Yeah, that's the easy way :D

Looks like Marconi has them in a tank full of mbuna. That's why I was more curious.

#7 ·
Eric_S said:
Yeah, that's the easy way :D

Looks like Marconi has them in a tank full of mbuna. That's why I was more curious.
Haha, yeah that's what surprised me. Mbuna are good hosts also but I agree that Peacocks are probably better :) I was getting pissed though when I'd go to strip a variety of fish that I was getting 15 bucks a pop per fry (30 fry x 15 = 450) and only 3 multitpunks would pop out lol.

#8 ·
I was thrilled the first time I had Multi cat fry from my wild group. I had different mbuna host the first three times, then decided to move them in with a group of Haps in a 75g. I consistently get new fry every 6 weeks or so, and since the beginning of the year, I've had 60-80 of them. I generally strip the female early, because the cats are voracious, and will sometimes consume each other if the food source(cichlid eggs) in the hosts mouth are consumed. Here are a couple of vids I shot of them after stripping the female. In this particular instance, I had stripped 31 multies and roughly 60-70 cichlid eggs just starting to hatch.

After stripping into a container

In the tumbler with some of the cichlid eggs. The eggs were completely consumed by the cats after 3-4 days.

After 1-1/2 weeks.

#10 ·
DrgRcr said:
I was thrilled the first time I had Multi cat fry from my wild group. I had different mbuna host the first three times, then decided to move them in with a group of Haps in a 75g. I consistently get new fry every 6 weeks or so, and since the beginning of the year, I've had 60-80 of them. I generally strip the female early, because the cats are voracious, and will sometimes consume each other if the food source(cichlid eggs) in the hosts mouth are consumed. Here are a couple of vids I shot of them after stripping the female. In this particular instance, I had stripped 31 multies and roughly 60-70 cichlid eggs just starting to hatch.

In the tumbler with some of the cichlid eggs. The eggs were completely consumed by the cats after 3-4 days.

After 1-1/2 weeks.
Just awesome :) I stripped a female one time within a couple days. I had some tiny yellow transparent eggs mixed in with the others. I thought maybe they were not fertile or premature...they still all turned out as little multipunks. Even from the little tiny egg, these fish are super hardy....great vids :)

#11 ·
Marconi said:
DrgRcr said:

After 1-1/2 weeks.
Just awesome :) I stripped a female one time within a couple days. I had some tiny yellow transparent eggs mixed in with the others. I thought maybe they were not fertile or premature...they still all turned out as little multipunks. Even from the little tiny egg, these fish are super hardy....great vids :)
I've done the same thing a couple of times now. I generally try to wait until the cats hatch, but sometimes my date must be off. I just stripped 2 females again last week, one with 13 developed cats, the other with 10 cat eggs mixed in(7 survived). The big thing with them is making sure they have a food source, or they will start to go after each other. I always put some of the cichlid eggs in the tumbler with them, and they develop very quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.