White Calvus

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  triscuit 
#1 ·
I have had one White Calvus in my 125 Gallon Tank of mostly Haps and Peacocks
He has been in there for 4 or 5 months
Never had an issue with him
He mostly keeps to himself, eats well and rarely hides
Nobody messes with him, and he seems very confident with all the other fish

Was at my LFS and wanted a second one. Spoke to the guy there who is very knowledgeable and he said there should be no issues with adding a second one
So I bought one and as soon as he was in my tank, the existing Calvus caught wind (or should I say water) of him and relentlessly started chasing him around all over the tank
The existing Calvus became possessed and was relentless
It got to the point where some of the other fish were getting riled up as well
Well after a day, I moved the new Calvus out of the tank to a 10 gallon holding tank until I decide what to do
He seems very shell shocked, and not sure if I should return him to the LFS or keep him and try to get his confidence back and try putting him back in the 125 gallon tank

Another option is to put him into my 22 gallon tank where I have 6 multi shell dwellers but not sure if that would be a good idea

Need some opinions/advise here please

See less See more
#2 ·
If you ever want to see fry in the multie tank again, I would not recommend putting a calvus in with them. Calvus are specialized to hunt fry and eat fish eggs.

My suggestion would be to pull both calvus out of the 125. Rearrange the decor, then add them back. Adding the new fish back first, then adding the old one about a week later.

#6 ·
They are roughly the same size
I still have the new one in a holding tank and he is coming along nicely

I think in the next week or so I may put him back in see what happens...will put him in in low light to give him a chance to settle in quietly

#7 ·
plug said:
They are roughly the same size
I still have the new one in a holding tank and he is coming along nicely

I think in the next week or so I may put him back in see what happens...will put him in in low light to give him a chance to settle in quietly
If you put him back in without disrupting the existing calvus, you're extremely likely to have the exact same thing happen again. I strongly agree that swapping them is your best move- let the new guy get settled before the bully has a chance to oust him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.