Cichlid Fish Forum banner

A. compressiceps behavior

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Razzo 
#1 ·
I recently purchased, through a Breeders Award Program, four A. compressiceps sp. black Kipili. I put them into a tank with a single, central rock pile. When fed, they all group together to eat, but when they are finished they go to the same space in the tank. One to the right base of the rocks, one to the left, one directly in front and one hovers about 4" above. They are not chased there but dutifully position themselves like sentinals. I have not seen any of them enter the rock formation. I have searched the internet over the last few days for species information, but, unlike angels, jules or tropheus, there seems to be little information on any of the altolamprologus species. I have noticed this behavior in J. marlieri, but only with the selected juveniles and only when they are assisting in the family defense. However, in this situation, none of those conditions exist.

Has anyone noticed this type of behavior in A. compressiceps?

I will admit that this type of behavior (something different with every species) is why I absolutly love Tanganyikans.

Thank you.
Joe

#2 ·
Altolamps in general are not super active fish. I have three different variations of them and in species only tanks, they are not super active and do tend to have "their" spot in the tank. Do you have any "caves" or shells for them to hide in? Do you know your ratio?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.