Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Growth rate of Black Calvus vs Yellow Calvus

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  chopsteeks 
#1 ·
I bought a Black and Yellow Calvus around 7 months ago. Both came in at around .75 inch.

Fast forward to today...

Concerned about the Black Calvus as he/she seemed to be growing very very slow. Whereas the Yellow Calvus has doubled in size, the Black Calvus has barely grown, around an inch.

He/she eats very well, fed the same food as the Yellow Calvus.

Is this because the Black Calvus is a female and the Yellow Calvus is a male ? Or something is wrong healthwise with the Black one ?

Both are in a 46 gallon tank with other juvie Peacocks.

Only aggression that I can see is that the Yellow one will chase the Black one every now and then.

#2 ·
chopsteeks said:
I bought a Black and Yellow Calvus around 7 months ago. Both came in at around .75 inch.

Fast forward to today...

Concerned about the Black Calvus as he/she seemed to be growing very very slow. Whereas the Yellow Calvus has doubled in size, the Black Calvus has barely grown, around an inch.

He/she eats very well, fed the same food as the Yellow Calvus.

Is this because the Black Calvus is a female and the Yellow Calvus is a male ? Or something is wrong healthwise with the Black one ?

Both are in a 46 gallon tank with other juvie Peacocks.

Only aggression that I can see is that the Yellow one will chase the Black one every now and then.
Doesn't surprise me with altolamps. As long as they are eating well, I would not worry. Too soon to start making guesses on gender from size.

The black calvus will proabably end up being bigger than the yellow once both are mature.

#3 ·
I Agree With Razzo - At This Point, If It's Not Displaying Any Other Symptoms Of illness There's No Point Worrying. All Of The Altolamps I've Ever Kept Were Slow Growers Relative To Most Other Species. Gender May Be The Explanation - My A. Compressiceps Males Are More Than Double The Size Of The Females - But At This Young Age, You Would Be Hard Pressed To Determine Gender Based On Size. If The Disparity Has Grown Over The Next Six Months Or So, Then You Could Probably Say The Smaller One Is Female.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.