Cichlid Fish Forum banner

75 gallon stocking Tang community

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Cich-ness 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone, I am currently cycling a new 75 gallon tank (48x18x21), I bought around 60lbs of holey rock for the right hand side for rock-dweller habitat, also have a bed of shells on the left hand side for shellies with about 8 to 12" of sand between the shells and rockwork. I am running a Fluval FX-6 with airstones in the corners.
My plan was to stock 1m 3f Calvus for the rocks, a colony of Multies for the shells, and 12 or so cyprichromis for the open water. My questions are, can I add a gobie to this mix? I know they are algae grazers for the most part, will the dietary needs clash with the more predatory Calvus and cyps? And will the gobie coexist with the shellies? Also, what are some other stocking options (besides tropheus) for this size tank? Thanks so much for looking. Cheers.

#3 ·
ok, so you could do two separate rock piles and get another rock dweller. I like buescheri, Leleupi
(only get leleupi if you get brevis shellies because they're one of the only ones that can defend themselves), you could also do xenotillapia if you have alot of open sand. just a few i wish i could have. :)

#5 ·
It's possible to do xenos and shelldwellers in a 75. I have.

But to your original question, I've never had gobies but I was visiting with one of the sponsors of this site (I think he's a sponsor anyway) and he had gobies in stock. Basically he said a single goby isn't going to add much to your tank. It's more about the interaction with multiple gobies that adds something. So I ended up not buying one as I was already fully stocked and didn't want more than one. Someone with experience may disagree. But I suppose you could get away with it if you want.

#6 ·
I could see that, I would love to have a pair of gobies but have heard that they are very rough on each other until a pair is established, and would imagine that it is very difficult to find an established pair for sale. I used to do Malawi peacocks and haps and found that the aggression made it more stressful than enjoyable as I was always moving fish around to try and keep the peace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.