Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Overhauling a 125

886 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  lorax84 
#1 ·
Hey All,

I'm currently in the process of repopulating my 125 with a set of breeding groups. I'm thinking of going with a mix of the lakes. I know, it's not the best way to do things, but I'm curious if it can work. Here's what I was thinking:

* Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef - 3m, +4-6f
* Some type of peacock (Ruby Red, Lwanda, ...) with similar mix of male / female
* Small mbuna group (Cynotilapia Cobue, Nkhata, ...)

...and I'm thinking of adding a Tanganyikan breed to the mix. I'm looking to all the experts here to see if there is something I can add to the mix that would work well. I'm asking more than just "Will they survive?" I'm genuinely curious if you think I can add something to the mix that will thrive and breed in that environment. I was looking at:

1-2prs of..

* Cylindricus
* Julidochromis Marlieri (or something similar)
* Neolamprologus Buescheri
* Leleupi

Let me know what you guys think. I know that I wouldn't mix any of the above with something as aggressive as a Demasoni or Zebra tank, but I think the mix of Malawi in here is fairly mild. In the past, I had a breeding group of Leleupi in an all male Malawi tank that did very well, so I feel like this might be possible.

Let me know what you all think. Am I setting myself up for failure?

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally I am not a fan of mixing tangs and malawi. I've kept both and they eat entirely different diets, as well as having vastly different behaviors. I also wouldn't keep peacock and mbuna together, so its obvious we are going to have some varying opinions on this. If you insist on keeping a tang, go with leleupi. They have the best chance of holding up in that tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.