Cichlid Fish Forum banner

125 stocking help needed

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  triscuit 
#1 ·
I have been away too long but have just purchased a 125 gallon tank and am back into the hobby. I have a sand substrate and currently have 8 young Neolamprologus multifasciatus in the tank. I have about 1/3 the right side covered in shells. They currently are the only fish in the tank. I want to add other Tangs slowly but am hoping for them to breed first and establish a growing colony. My question is this: how would some Opthalmotilapia ventralis Kipili go in this tank? Do they like open water or just sand? Or do the prefer rocks? I have the chance to pick some of these guys up and want to know what area they will occupy before I buy them? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
I was thinking of putting some rocks to the far left of the tank and leaving the entire middle open sand. With all that space would they really bother the multies? If I do get these Opthalmotilapia ventralis Kipili does that rule out getting a school of cyprichromis leptosoma?

#4 ·
Is this a 6ft tank? Then, sure- but pile the multifaciatus shells so that females and fry can occupy the lower levels, safe from the featherfins. Put them up against the glass in a front corner- it's fun to watch the interior of the pile, and keeps them out of the way.

Cyps need a place to sleep. The most common problem I've seen with cyps and featherfins is that there's no place left for the cyps. That can be managed with careful aquascaping, including a 3D background, structure high in the water column and narrow swim-through caves. Those things are easily accomplished with pieces of slate balanced against the back wall of the tank, leaving an inch or two of space between the base of the slate and the base of the glass. Commercial 3D backgrounds work well too, though additional structure at least 2/3 the height of the tank is helpful... but of course you want to leave sand open for the featherfins...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.