Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Grow out tank for calvus.

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  DieselPhil 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.
I am new to this forum but I have gotten plenty of valuable information about Chichlids and Tangs in particular. I have a question that I wasn't able to find an answer to. I have 12 juvie yellow calvus in. 20 gallon tank. The calvus are about 1" in length. Is this overcrowding the tank? Is it going to stunt their growth?
I'm planning to move them into a 60 gallon in about a year. I have frontosa growing out in my 60 gallon which will be moved to a 150 gallon in about a year. I want to do everything to help calvus grow as quick as possible. I do 50% water changes weekly in the 20 gallon tank.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

#2 ·
Calvus grow very slowly and IMO I think that 20gal should be ok for a year. They will probably only be 2.5" tops in a years time and I think a dozen of them in a 20g should be ok but might be pushing it.

If you want to give them the best I would do a 50% every 3rd day and feed them 3-4 times daily. They will grow quickly, for calvus.

#4 ·
Thank you for the advice. I feed twice a day.
NLS grow formula in the morning and frozen brine shrimp in the evening. 50% water change every 3 days. Got plenty hiding places. They fight each other. These guys are so cool. They act like puppies bullying each other al over the place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.