Cichlid Fish Forum banner

salt to fresh and stocking options

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  jimithing 
#1 ·
Hi,

I currently have a 55G tank standard 4 ft. My co worker is tearing down her 95G wave front reef tank. It has overflows and a sump neither of which i've ever used before. Did I mention she's giving it to me along with all the equipment for free? :) She's just down to a few pieces of live rock and a couple leather corals and 3 fish which she's getting rid of.

Im going to move my cichlids into this tank. Is there anything I need to worry about or keep an eye on going from a salt setup to fresh? I'll obviously be sure to clean it as best i can and will be tearing down my 55G so my substrate along with new will be moving into the 95.

In my 55 I have 1 calvus, 1 caudopunk, and 3 paracyps, and 5 petricola cats. Im pickup up another 8 paracyps. Any other stocking suggestions or recommendations? I believe the tank is also 4 foot with the depth of 18-23 inches with the wave. Not sure about height but im guessing 24inch. I'll have much better space for aquascaping my rocks than in the narrow 55.

thoughts are welcomed.
thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have done this, as long as you remove all the sand and rocks so that the SW bacteria doesnt die in your nice new fresh set up.
You will have to scrub algae off the glass for the same reason or it may adversly affect your water when it decomposes.

Sounds like you got an amazing deal, If you plan on using the filrtation system from the saltwater tank, the same must apply. You have to make sure to remove all the old media or it will basically cause the tank to enter a cycle all over again.

My best advice would be, use your existing filtration and sand. then youre just effectively doing a big water change that puts everyone in a new and more spacious tank. Then you can clean the old filtration system and try and run it along side so that the already cycled water goes into the media and establishes itself. OR just don't use the sump.

my 4x2x2 has an overflow and drilled, I just put a piece of acrylic over the hole and siliconed it up and use a canister. I can easily switch to a sump if I want to, but for now I don't feel like exploring that avenue as a lot can go wrong if you don't have the correct in and out flow rates.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes I was definitely planning on using the substrate from my other tank in this one. I'll likely add some new as the footprint is a little bigger. The tank is actually pretty clean except some of the purple coraline algae on the outside of the overflow. Does that need to be removed? Im assuming it will just die as it's not underwater anymore otherwise i'll try to scrape it off.

Sump is all clean as well. It's a clear thick plastic and I can clean it and rinse it more in my utility sink. I was planning on using the sump. I'll have to start it new with bioballs as she wasn't using any. What I was thinking is running the sump along with my current filtration for a couple months until the sump is established.

What do you mean by not having the correct flow rates with the sump? She gave me the pump for it so should be good IMO correct?

What other fish could I put in this tank? I was thinking maybe a group of cyp utinta. Anyone kept cyps and paracyps together? Other suggestions? thanks

#8 ·
Floridagirl said:
IMO, you don't have the floor space for them, with your other fish.
I have to agree with FG. If a species only tank, you could jam a few boys (1 big and two small) and five female kilesa in there. Here's a pic of my 72 gallon bow front tank which barely had room for one male pit. Also, kilesa have no way to defend themselves from other aggressive cichlids. Just some food for thought.

Cheers,
Russ

#9 ·
Razzo said:
Floridagirl said:
IMO, you don't have the floor space for them, with your other fish.
I have to agree with FG. If a species only tank, you could jam a few boys (1 big and two small) and five female kilesa in there. Here's a pic of my 72 gallon bow front tank which barely had room for one male pit. Also, kilesa have no way to defend themselves from other aggressive cichlids. Just some food for thought.

Cheers,
Russ
Nice clean looking tank. Thanks for the explanation as I don't have any experience with kilesa. I think I'll go with the cyps and try to get a pair of caudopunks and maybe a couple small calvus (a guy locally has 1inchers for sale). Would a single lelupi be too agressive for this tank or is that too may rock dwellers with the paracyps and calvus?
Just thinking out loud thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.