Cichlid Fish Forum banner

55gal. community addition

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Grill88 
#1 ·
Hello all!
I currently have a 29gal. with a pair of Julie Regani (with several fry), 5 Lamprologus ornatipinnis (with a few fry), and 5 Paracyps. I am in the process of setting up a 55gal to move the Paracyps and Julies in to. Can I add another species to the 55gal? Any suggestions?

#4 ·
I like the idea of adding the dewindti. Would any other featherfins work in a 55? Like any of the Ophthalmotilapia ventralis variants or the Ophthalmotilapia boops variants?

#6 ·
About 4 years ago I tried raising out 12 O ventralis in a 72"x12" setup I had. About 3 months later I had only had 1 left. The ventralis are really mean in my experience. I don't think Id risk them in a 55. With shellies in your tank and julies requiring a a rockpile Im not sure if there will be enough real estate left over in the bottom of your tank to suit a group of sand dwellers. They need their space.

#8 ·
jimithing said:
I tried Dewenti in a 55 and it didn't work. They were too aggressive and just seemed cramped. I think I had 4 if i remember right. Ended up selling them after a couple weeks.
You may have had a lot of males. To be fair, I had already grown mine out in a larger tank, so I had 1M, 5 females when I put them in the 55. They are now back in a 120 with 6 more Juvies. If I started with Juvies in a 55, I'd get 10-12 to get a good ratio.Most cichlids need larger numbers to spread aggression.

#9 ·
apmorgan93 said:
About 4 years ago I tried raising out 12 O ventralis in a 72"x12" setup I had. About 3 months later I had only had 1 left. The ventralis are really mean in my experience. I don't think Id risk them in a 55. With shellies in your tank and julies requiring a a rockpile Im not sure if there will be enough real estate left over in the bottom of your tank to suit a group of sand dwellers. They need their space.
The shellies will be staying in the 29 gallon by themselves. Just the Julies and Paracyps will go to the 55 gallon. I may just get some cyps as the third species for the 55 gallon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.