Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Cyprichromis advice- holding females

8K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  triscuit 
#1 ·
Hi all,

In my main tank I currently have 3 of my female Cyprichromis Leptosoma holding eggs. As far as I can tell they have been holding about 3 weeks, maybe more (I was away from home at the start of October so not quite sure when they "did the dance"). On one of them in particular I can see eyes through the stretched skin under her mouth, on another I can still make out the orange eggs so I don't think they have all been holding for the same amount of time. All look healthy.

The main tank has julies, comps, synos etc so no way any fry are going to last long in there.

I'm not quite sure what to do with them, I want to try to keep as many fry as possible. I have set up a 10 gallon tank with some media from one of my filters and it's up to temperature. Should I move the females so they can spit the fry in the 10 gallon? I'm worried that trying to net them is going to really stress the females out. Any tips for netting them?

What's the best thing to be feeding the fry? and how many should I expect from each female?

Any advice on this situation would be much appreciated.

See less See more
#27 ·
Thanks. They're just over an inch now. I'll give them another week or two in the small tank. Another female in the big tank has a mouth full of fry that look nearly ready to be spat out so it looks like the grow out tank will be staying set up a bit longer :) Bought a 33 gal aquarium to set up as a planted tank instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.