Lake Tanganyika Species • New to Cichlids

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

New to Cichlids

Postby CCCrandall » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:35 pm

Hello everyone i am new to cichlids, i only worked with geckos until this past week. I was at my local pet store selling some of my geckos and i saw some Julio. "Gombi" and i was intrigued so i bought a 30gal and 2 of them. I was so entertained by them i went back and bought 2 Julio. Ornatus and Lepido. Kendali. Let the addiction begin:)
CCCrandall

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: New to Cichlids

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Cool and welcome to the forum.

Did your LFS tell you anything about cycling your tank?

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/fishless_cycle.php

Very important stuff. If your tank is not cycled I would suggest purchasing some Dr Tims One & Only nitrifying bacteria to put you on the fast track to a cycled tank.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby DJRansome » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Also, two species of julidochromis are likely to crossbreed and a 30G might not be big enough for either pair to be happy cohabiting. I think the kendali needs a bigger tank, but hopefully experienced keepers will chime in.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Razzo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:05 pm

Iggy Newcastle wrote:...suggest purchasing some Dr Tims One & Only nitrifying bacteria to put you on the fast track to a cycled tank.

Congrats on entering the cichlid world. Many-many interesting sizes, shapes, colors, and personalities of cichlids. Have to be careful mixing them which we can help :)

BTW: If your LFS doesn't carry Dr. Tims, they will most likely carry SeaChem Stability. You can cycle a new tank in eight days with it. You have to get a handle on cycling your tank asap otherwise you will lose fish to the coming ammonia spike. Hopefully, your LFS covered this with you.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=12021

Russ
Recovering frontosa breeder (I have had a relapse)
Razzo

Postby slieb845 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:37 pm

look up leleupi and brichardi cichlids. They are also great for a smaller tanganyikan tank
slieb845

Postby Fogelhund » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:23 pm

slieb845 wrote:look up leleupi and brichardi cichlids. They are also great for a smaller tanganyikan tank

On their own... yes. With other cichlids, not so much.

Back to the beginning though. I would recommend keeping only one of the Julidochromis species that you've picked up. Choose the one that you like the most, and pick up four more of those. The other species should go back to the store. The Lepidiolamprologus kendalli is an predator of smaller fish, and very aggressive when spawning. I wouldn't keep a pair of these in anything less than a four foot tank... when alone. I've seen some specimens at 8" and large enough to eat adult Jul. ornatus or gombi. They too need to go back.

From there, I would either recommend either looking at some Altolamprologus calvus, or perhaps a group of Lamprologus multifasciatus, a very entertaining shelldweller. Let us know which works for you, and we can help you with your tank from there.
Fogelhund

Postby CCCrandall » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks for the help everyone! i bought another tank to seperate the julis. As for the Kendali, theyre just as big as the rest of the cichlids. And dont seem to be terrorizing the others.
CCCrandall

Postby Storiwyr » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:23 pm

CCCrandall wrote:As for the Kendali, theyre just as big as the rest of the cichlids. And dont seem to be terrorizing the others.

YET. You have to realize that things change with these fish, and they change fast. If you just put these guys in a week ago, they are still adjusting. You don't want to wait for them to start killing each other to do something. The Kendali will get bigger, and it will be easier to deal with the issue now than deal with it later. If you're new to Cichlids, trust people like Fogelhund who are experts.
90G Malawi: Demasoni, alb. Socolofi, Aceis, lone C. moorii

75G Tanganyika: BCWP Calvus, Muzi Goldhead Comps, Kerenge Cyps, Multies

20G: Mollies, Rainbows, Crystal Shrimp

40G Reef: Linear Blennies, Watchman Goby, Cleaner Shrimp, Sexy Shrimp
Storiwyr

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:05 pm

CCCrandall wrote: As for the Kendali, theyre just as big as the rest of the cichlids. And dont seem to be terrorizing the others.

They won't terrorize anything for now. But, once they get to 4-5" (which will happen quick), they may pair up. Once they pair up and spawn, it is probable that every other fish in your tank will be dead overnight. In the meantime, make sure that your tank has no openings in the top, they are well known for being escape artists and landing on the floor.
Fogelhund

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species