Lake Tanganyika Species • in search of a peaceful tang tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

in search of a peaceful tang tank

Postby mikeyBoy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:38 pm

First, thanks for any advice you share with me. I wouldn't have bothered you but just had so much trouble trying to find the answers myself.

I have never had a tang tank. I am not crazy about tankmates eating each other, and while I know chiclids tend to be at least somewhat agressive, perhaps I can hedge my bet by following your expert suggestions.

Will this work? 58 gal 36" oceanic tank. 12 cyps (perhaps cyprichromis microlepidotus mabilibili, or paracyprichromis nigripinnis), 5 or 6 neolamprologus cylindricus, 5 or 6 sand or shell dwellers, and one frontosa? If not, what setup with cyps would afford me the best chance for a peaceful and happy tank?

Also, can I have 6 of one cyp and 6 of another, or do I need 12 of the same species?

Thank you very much
MikeyBoy
mikeyBoy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: in search of a peaceful tang tank

Postby swk » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:23 am

In a 36" tank I would go for the paracyps. Micros and leptosoma need a minimum 4', with 6' being even better.

If I remember correctly, cylindricus can be pretty aggressive towards conspecifics, so be prepared to remove fish as needed.

Yes to the shellies, and no to the sand dwellers IMO. They need a longer tank

A huge "no" to the frontosa. They grow far too large for that tank, and are capable of eating every other fish you listed.

I would consider calvus or comps in lieu of the fish that will not work.
swk

Postby webbie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:32 am

How about some Julies ? Transcriptus or Ornatus,I've got a pair of Regani in my tang set up along with multis,and Cyps and calvus and they all get along fine
webbie

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:53 am

The cylindricus will go after the shell dwellers, and aren't a peaceful fish at all. For peaceful, maybe some Paracyprichromis and Lamp multifasciatus.
Fogelhund

Postby mikeyBoy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:20 pm

thank you both for your replies. this is all so confusing. i am an avid researcher and have spent perhaps 30 to 40 hrs here the last few weeks and am still confused. the help i got here with swapping out gravel for sand (did that yesterday) was wonderful. followed the collective advice and it went as smooth as glass. will let the stockings full of gravel gently sit on the sand for a month or so to help the bacteria colonize.

now back to my question. i had? decided to get 6 gold occies, 6 black calvus, and 12 paracyps. i have a great rock/cave setup. but as i read carefully, and so much info is contradictory from one post to another, i just can't pick tankmates. some say julies are fine with occies. some posts say not so fine. some say their calvus don't mess with the occies fry, some say don't do it or you'll be sorry.

while my tank while only 36" long, it is 18" wide and has 5% larger perimeter than a stock 55 (though i expect the 48" of the 55 is still better).

so back to my orginal question. is it likely that I can keep 6 occies, 12 paracyps, and either 6 calvus, or 6 julies, or 6 something else? I would love to have some shellies, some rock dwellers, and some open swimmers in this tank. I do realize that as they get bigger and as they mature, some may need to be relocated.
mikeyBoy

Postby webbie » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:49 am

Mikeyboy, I only started keeping Tangs myself a few months ago and went through the same quandry as you every time I came up with a stock list someone would come on and say you cant keep that with that,nearly gave up so glad I didnt tho,I wanted some P.Nigripinnis,but could not find any readily available in the UK,except by buying them on line,in the end I got some C.Leptosoma ,very peaceful fish only prob I have 3 males to 1 female,hoping to get some more females in the next couple of weeks,got to say tho in a tank your size I would probably go for 6,never kept Occies myself my favs are multis,started with 6 now up to about 18 with different size fry,so paras or cyps with occies no probs,now I have a pair of J.Regani,m/f and they are no probs either,I only have 1 single Calvus white,and I can honestly say he hasnt been near my multi fry ,the parents are good guardians,if you go with the Occies I would get 1 male to 3 females ,you will soon have plenty of fry to deal with,so and this is just a beginers view,I would have 6 Paras or Cyps,4 Occies ,a pair of Julies and just 1 Calvus,now another fish to consider and I can only go on my experience with mine and it is prob my favorite is the 5 bar cichlid ,N.Tretocephalus,a lot of web sites say this is a very aggressive fish ,but mine is no probs at all ,kept singly you should be ok with one,I once asked in my LFS if there was such a thing as a peaceful Tang tank the reply was yes an empty one!, the nature of tangs is to be aggressive cant be helped,we need to choose the right fish to reduce that aggression to a minimum, hope this has been a little help
webbie

Postby mikeyBoy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:51 am

thanks for the detailed answer. and your last line kinda says it all, "the nature of tangs is to be aggresive" and therein lies the impetus for a large chunk of these forum questions.

btw, brilliant job with the olympics, couldn't have come off more smoothly as the world breathes a collective sigh of relief.
mikeyBoy

Postby DJRansome » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:39 am

I think an initial stocking of 6 each, occies, calvus and paracyps would work. Calvus should be expected to eat fry (that's their job) but not juveniles. You should expect to end up with a pair of calvus and may have to remove extra male occies for your final stocking.

12 paracyps would be too much for a 36" tank IMO.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome

Postby Floridagirl » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:52 am

I would do 2 species in this tank, with maybe a single Calvus/Comp.

I prefer Multis over Occies, and if you are truly looking for Peaceful, Multies are it. I love Julies and they will tolerate some of their own as well. P. Nigrippins spend a lot of time in the caves and need very subdued lighting to show any color.

So my suggestions with a large rockwall on the back is a small Julie. Their swimming behavior is awesome and some species can add color to the tank.

Some suggestions in order of my personal favorites. These Julies will be small enought to keep with shellies. Provide a large shell in one front corner for the Calvus, shellbed on the other front corner for Multies(5-6 per fish, pilked up). If Occies, they need scattered shells across the whole front(one per fish). Caudos can be a shell rock mixture.

Julie Ornatus, Multies, single Balck Calvus
Julie Marlieri Gombe, Caudopunks, Single Black Calvus or Yellow/Orange Comp
Julie Transcriptus Pemba, Gold Occies
Brichardi species tank, big rock structure. This is an awesome tank. Once they pair of, they will tolerate fry like Multies.

HTH
Too many fish to choose from, too few tanks!
Floridagirl

Postby mikeyBoy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:21 pm

i thank all of you for your time to answer so thoroughly and thoughtfully. i think i can move forward from here.

this forum is an incredible resource. social media my a--. this type of exchange was/is the pre cursor of all the social media stuff and in general provides a more measurable and discrete value to those who participate.

again thanks all
mikeyBoy

Postby Storiwyr » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:27 pm

One thing to keep in mind is human nature with fish keeping. This forum is an excellent resource, but there are two factors at play when you're choosing your stocking list.

1. These little guys have a ton of personality, I think that's one of the primary reasons so many people love keeping cichlids. However, it also means that every species will have exceptions to the rule. We can tell you that a species is usually more placid, but you're going to once and while find one that is just insane. Same thing goes the other way. We can tell you a species is usually more aggressive, but someone will have one who wouldn't hurt a fly.

2. People tend to see their own experiences as the rule, even if they are an exception. I'm a statistician by trade, and I see it every day. So this means that if almost everyone has had the experience that species x can be kept with species y, but ONE PERSON has had species x go nuts and kill all their species y, that one person may insist that they cannot be kept together. No one is trying to mislead you, that's just human nature. :)

Overall, I tend to look for the consensus, and just keep in mind that there are going to be exceptions, and you may want to plan ahead how you will handle it if you just happen to get the most evil black calvus ever. ;)
90G Malawi: Demasoni, alb. Socolofi, Aceis, lone C. moorii

75G Tanganyika: BCWP Calvus, Muzi Goldhead Comps, Kerenge Cyps, Multies

20G: Mollies, Rainbows, Crystal Shrimp

40G Reef: Linear Blennies, Watchman Goby, Cleaner Shrimp, Sexy Shrimp
Storiwyr

Postby Fogelhund » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:33 pm

I would go with two species...

I suggested Paracyprichromis and Lamp. multifasciatus, but you could easily do Lamp. brevis instead, who aren't even as aggressive as multi's typically.
Fogelhund

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species