Lake Tanganyika Species • Shell dweller tank

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Shell dweller tank

Postby nyccichlid » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:42 am

What's the smallest tank I can use for shellies?
nyccichlid

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Shell dweller tank

Postby camelworm » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:41 am

depends on what shellies u want but a ten gallon tank is a good small size for them
camelworm

Postby webbie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:55 am

kept a small colony of multis in a ten gallon set up 2 males and 4 femaleand bred in there quite easily
webbie

Postby DNK » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:12 pm

Had a group of 7 juvies which soon turned into 30+ in an 18"x10"x10" footprint tank. It worked fine but I wouldn't go any smaller. Individual fish rarely ventured more than 6-8" from the shell they claimed.
DNK

Postby Tshethar » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:28 am

I'm in the process of settling a new group of multis in a Fluval Edge, which is 6 gallons with a footprint of 17" x 10". So far so good. In searching around before settling on multis (as opposed to gold occies, for example), I learned that the size question may vary with the species you're interested in (or vice versa.) Seems multis or a pair of brevis will be your best bet for a real "micro" kind of setup.
85: Cyp. Micro. "Bulu Point;" Enant. "Kilesa;" Xeno. Bathyphilus; Tang. Irsacae ~ Eheim 2229, Eheim 2217
55: A. Calvus; Xeno. Flavipinnis "Croc. Island;" P. Nigripinnis ~ Eheim 2026, AC 70
29: N. pulcher
Fluval Edge: multis
Tshethar

Postby nyccichlid » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:27 am

Tshethar wrote:I'm in the process of settling a new group of multis in a Fluval Edge, which is 6 gallons with a footprint of 17" x 10". So far so good. In searching around before settling on multis (as opposed to gold occies, for example), I learned that the size question may vary with the species you're interested in (or vice versa.) Seems multis or a pair of brevis will be your best bet for a real "micro" kind of setup.

That's funny. The 6g fluval edge is the exact tank I have in mind. Would look great on my desk. I was thinking either Shellie's, or a few neons, or maybe just a beta. But in regards to the beta....I've always had a problem with the idea of keeping a single fish on a tank.
nyccichlid

Postby TMB60 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:51 am

My son started a 10g tank with 6 Multies a year ago. They breed readily in there and so far so good, but eventually he'll have to start re-homing some of them when it starts to get too crowded in there.

Tom
TMB60

Postby Tshethar » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:59 pm

nyccichlid wrote:
Tshethar wrote:I'm in the process of settling a new group of multis in a Fluval Edge, which is 6 gallons with a footprint of 17" x 10". So far so good. In searching around before settling on multis (as opposed to gold occies, for example), I learned that the size question may vary with the species you're interested in (or vice versa.) Seems multis or a pair of brevis will be your best bet for a real "micro" kind of setup.

That's funny. The 6g fluval edge is the exact tank I have in mind. Would look great on my desk. I was thinking either Shellie's, or a few neons, or maybe just a beta. But in regards to the beta....I've always had a problem with the idea of keeping a single fish on a tank.

:D I'm sitting at my desk now with my Edge & multis just to my left... So far I'm really pleased with the setup, though it's brand new and I agree with others that, assuming all goes well, it will only be a matter of time before some re-homing will have to happen. On the plus side, besides the fact that it's a cool tank design-wise, I like that the scale seems really good for the shellies. (I.e., I tried doing a 29 at work as a multis-only setup for a while last year, and it always looked empty. Admittedly, I over-cleaned one day and wiped them out before they could form a large colony. :? )

I'm pretty sure I saw something on the Fluval website that mentioned multis as a good candidate for the Edge, and I thought I had found at least one Youtube video as well, though I can't pull it up easily at the moment...
85: Cyp. Micro. "Bulu Point;" Enant. "Kilesa;" Xeno. Bathyphilus; Tang. Irsacae ~ Eheim 2229, Eheim 2217
55: A. Calvus; Xeno. Flavipinnis "Croc. Island;" P. Nigripinnis ~ Eheim 2026, AC 70
29: N. pulcher
Fluval Edge: multis
Tshethar

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species