Lake Tanganyika Species • 7 Stripe Frontosa not breeding

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

7 Stripe Frontosa not breeding

Postby skydriver » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:07 pm

Hello all, I am currently running a 120 gallon tank with 5 Frontosa (7 stripe) and some Labidochromis. The labs are breeding well (like rabbits actually) but the Frontosa are not. I'm not sure what the problem is. I check/change water frequently maintaining a ph of at least 8.4. I'm sure that I have at least one male (shape of his head) within the group of 5 Frontosa, and their ages are around 2-3 yrs the male being the oldest....... what are some things I should be looking for. I have considered removing the Labs from the tank, they tend to be territorial by nature and like the caves/over hangs. Do the Frontosa need caves to breed? Any special food?
skydriver

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 7 Stripe Frontosa not breeding

Postby Taratron » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:44 pm

What are you feeding the fronts and what is your water change schedule?

I used to work in an aquarium where we had a tiny 250 gallon Lake Tang tank, and I was shocked to find a female front hiding in the back of the rockwork; I had no idea we had more than the huge male. I took over the building from a guy who never did water changes, so after doing one a week and feeding NLS pellets, the female front got her weight back, and the day the boss decided to sell them, the store who got the fish found her carrying a ton of well-developed fry.

Fronts are mouthbrooders so I don't think they need caves. Maybe a mod can move this to the front forum for better aid.
"Illegitimis non carborundum."
-Gen. Joseph Stilwell
Taratron

Postby skydriver » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:53 pm

I've tried every type of pellet/manufacture of Cichlid food that's out there......even some local volume suppliers. The water change cycle is at least once a week........depending on how quickly the ph changes. I keep a pretty close watch on that. I've not tried any kind of shrimp or krill.....is that an option?
skydriver

Postby nodima » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:02 am

Couple of thoughts - 2-3 years is on the young side - often they don't succeed on their first few attempts. Shrimp and krill definitely are ok - mine love it. I've never kept Fronts with Labs, but Labs are much more hyper than fronts and may well be inhibiting the fronts from breeding. There is also a good chance that the labs will eat the eggs dropped by the female before she can get them in her mouth. I know my Syno cats are very disruptive the breeding of my fronts - so much so that I am looking to re-home them.

Tank shape - is it a 4' 120, or a 6' 125? The footprint might also play into it, as a 4' tank does not allow for much separation.

Sex - best bet is to vent the fish to see what you have - there have been several times where I'd have sworn up and down a fish was one sex, but after venting it was the other. Sometimes appearances can be deceiving.
180 gal - Kigoma Frontosa, Synodontis Multipunctatus, Giant Danios

125gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Postby skydriver » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:34 pm

nodima wrote:Tank shape - is it a 4' 120, or a 6' 125? The footprint might also play into it, as a 4' tank does not allow for much separation.

Sorry............125 gal X 6 Ft. but they pretty much confine them selves to one end. Not sure why, they are the biggest thing in the tank.
skydriver

Postby nodima » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:18 am

skydriver wrote:
nodima wrote:Tank shape - is it a 4' 120, or a 6' 125? The footprint might also play into it, as a 4' tank does not allow for much separation.

Sorry............125 gal X 6 Ft. but they pretty much confine them selves to one end. Not sure why, they are the biggest thing in the tank.

Labs are a lot more rambunctious, and size matters not, fronts are shy and docile and often are scared of fast moving fish. If you remove the labs, your fronts will likely be much happier.
180 gal - Kigoma Frontosa, Synodontis Multipunctatus, Giant Danios

125gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Postby jaynuge » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:43 pm

Live food entices a lot of new moods. I use blackworms, earthworms and frozen bloodworms. They also enjoyed the spirunela (algae) wafers.
But best chances are doing a big water change. Although you may throw off your pH, the water change drives them to breed nearly 90% of the time.
And one more thing that's helped, is having the lights off in the tank. They are deep water fish and are used to breeding in darker water. Plus its less stress on them with the Labs, as the Labs rest and the Fronts get some time to themselves.
jaynuge

Postby skydriver » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:35 am

I'm trying different foods, I maintain a limited amount of lighted time.........timer comes on at 5:00PM and goes off at 10:00 the rest of the day it's dark.........tank in a corner of a basement room away from the windows.
skydriver

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species