Lake Tanganyika Species • Options for replacing Julidochromis in a 55 community

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Options for replacing Julidochromis in a 55 community

Postby Ptyochromis » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:43 am

I have discovered that my pair of J.marlieri is not a pair of J.marlieri but a pair of marlieri and regani. I am planning on getting rid of them and culling the fry. I would like to replace them with another rock spawner that is under 6". Any thoughts on what would be good to replace them with? My current stocking is 4 L.ornatipinnis and 11 C.leptosoma.
Ptyochromis

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Options for replacing Julidochromis in a 55 community

Postby orau22 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:52 am

Calvus?
orau22

Postby Fogelhund » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:00 am

Altolamprologus, Paracyprichromis, Julidochromis (ornatus, transcriptus, Gombe), Telmatochromis vittatus/bifrenatus would all work.
Fogelhund

Postby Ptyochromis » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:58 am

I have some A.comps in another tank, waiting for them to get some size on them before I introduce them into the 55. I have been looking at telmatochromis, I hear they are notorious egg/fry snatchers any truth to this? Also any idea what type of scape they prefer?
Ptyochromis

Postby Deeda » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:07 pm

I really liked the Julidochromis marlieri 'gombe' that i had for a couple years. Beautiful colors on the fish and mine bred like rabbits so I was able to share them with other hobbyists.
Deeda
Global Moderator

Postby Ptyochromis » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Deeda wrote:I really liked the Julidochromis marlieri 'gombe' that i had for a couple years. Beautiful colors on the fish and mine bred like rabbits so I was able to share them with other hobbyists.

I have found that my 'larger' julies were too aggressive for the tank. The female dominated a good half of the bottom of my tank, a good 10"+ past the rocks. I'm torn between a smaller species of juli, like dickfeldi or transcriptus. The 55 cookie cutter recommends N.buescheri, 12 of them :o. The article says they are reclusive, but their profile describes them as aggressive and CS:highly aggressive; dave is also selling them for $15 each. Kinda expensive imo, spent a ton on my cyps; im done with expensive fish lol.
I'm a big fan of little fish, was also considering Telmatochromis but it seams like they wouldn't fill the 'rock spawner' niche left by my julies.
Ptyochromis

Postby Fogelhund » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:41 am

The marlieri "Gombe" is a dwarf Julidochromis and would be fine. They are the same size as transcriptus.

Telmatochromis will use the rocks quite a bit, the female may choose to spawn in a shell in the rocks.
Fogelhund

Postby jtranscriptus » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:36 pm

I would either wait on your Comps/Calvus to grow up or go with some Julidochromis ornatus. Ornatus is the smallest of the Juli; if you get your hands on the congo yellow they are stunning.
jtranscriptus

Postby Ptyochromis » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Would it be feasable to keep comps with small julies? Or are they considered 'bite-sized'? To be honest, I was considering dickfeldi. I'm looking for something that will let my L.ornatipinnis use as much as the floor as possible. I know my larger julies would drive them about 10" away from the rocks, which caused some issues as the ornatipinnis like to have a large territory.
Ptyochromis

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:53 am

The small Julidochromis would not be eaten as adults, no worries there. J. dickfeldi might work, but the smaller Julidochromis have a better probability of working in a 55 gallon.
Fogelhund

Postby Floridagirl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:47 am

I'd stick with Juli Ornatus or Gombe. Juli's are one of my favorite fish.
Too many fish to choose from, too few tanks!
Floridagirl

Postby Ptyochromis » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:50 am

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcichlidst&1343273107 Does this look legit? Never heard of transcrup gombe
Ptyochromis

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:25 am

Without comment on the aquabid offering, gombe used to be sold as transcriptus and sometimes still are.
125G Borleyi, Marginatus, Maleri, Jewels, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Maingano, Estherae, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Julidochromis, Petricola
38G Tetrastigma
33G Labs/Hara; 33G Trewavasae/Rubescens; 33G Chrysonotus/Usisya; 33G Electra/Cobue
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby FishFlake » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:04 pm

My Julidochromis marlieri Burundi have beautiful blue on their fins and breed like rabbits. Never observed any aggression problems. They occupy a large rock pile and a smaller second pile along with several black calvus. There are also cyps and shellies in the tank.
FishFlake

Postby Ptyochromis » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:27 pm

DJRansome wrote:Without comment on the aquabid offering, gombe used to be sold as transcriptus and sometimes still are.

Please comment :P . Do you think they are asking too much? I cannot trust my LFS anymore, unsure which companies are reliable.
Ptyochromis

Next

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species