Lake Tanganyika Species • Keeping Xeno's

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderator: triscuit

Keeping Xeno's

Postby Michael_M » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:12 am

So I'm thinking of getting another tank in the near future and have become increasingly interested about Tangs and specifically Xenotilapia.

I will have either a 75g or a 6x2x2 to house them. I was thinking of housing them with ParaCyprichromis or non-jumo Cyprichromis and maybe a pair of Calvus or Comps. A local breeder has some really nice Xenotilapia sp. "Papilio Sunflower" (Isanga).

Given that these are what I'm interested in what numbers of juvies should I look to obtain and how many am I aiming to end up with for both tank sizes? Also what ratios?

Cheers
Michael_M

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Keeping Xeno's

Postby noddy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:39 pm

I found them to be the most sensitive fish I have ever kept. They are pairing fish, but you should keep more than one pair in order to stop the male beating on his female.
I think two pair in a 75g would work, but the six footer would be better for them IMO. Cyp pavo would possibly make a better tankmate than leptosoma.
noddy

Re: Keeping Xeno's

Postby jtranscriptus » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:32 pm

I housed 6 Xenotilapia flavipinnis and 8 paracyp nigripinnis in a 55 gallon tank with out issues. I think the 75 gallon will work, and the Comps/Calvus can help control the breeding for you. :)
jtranscriptus

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species