Lake Tanganyika Species • 29 gal Occie settup help

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

29 gal Occie settup help

Postby wallyb0rd000 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:40 pm

Hey all,
Last night I set up my new 29 gal, 30in long Tang. tank. I am using aragonite mixed with a little black sand for color. PH out of the tap is about 6.7 and I am hoping that the aragonite brings me up as it did in my Mbuna tank. I have a Fluval 206 hooked up and seeded it with media from my established 50 gal. mbuna tank. Currently have 2 platys to keep the tank cycled (or to cycle it...not sure till i get home to test)I will be getting lamprogolus ocellatus(gold occies). I would ideally like to have them breed at some point and am not sure how may I should get. (have to order online unfortunatly and they cannot sex).. just get like 6 and hope I get a good mix? also, would like to add another species for the upper part of the tank. Not a must but I like Brischardi and was wondering if that would be a good mix. if not, what would work? Down the road (once they breed and the tank is more populated), I want to add a dwarf sumbu (think thats what they are called...basically small comprisseps). I was told that they will eat any extra fry and keep it from overpopulating. Would that work? am i over stocking? any other suggestions? I could do just a species tank but I feel like the top of the tank is wasted and I have always wanted some comprisseps but dont have the tank size. Appreciate any advice.
Thanks!!!
Fluval Edge gold occie tank
10gal-brevis fry tank
20long-brevis tank
29gal-telmat orange scribble tank
Fluval Studio 47.5gal mixed mbuna tank
wallyb0rd000

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: 29 gal Occie settup help

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:51 pm

In a 30" long tank you could do a rock dweller in addition to the ocellatus, but I wouldn't do two shell dwellers. A small rock dweller such as one of the dwarf Julidochromis (ornatus/transcriptus) or Telmatochromis bifrenatus/vittatus. Alternatively, you could try some Paracyprichromis. The males would occupy rocks stacked to the top of the tank, and the females might occupy both the rocks, and some open space in the water. There aren't really any other Tangs you would want to try and occupy the upper part of the tank, as they all really need bigger tanks. I often recommend dwarf Australian Rainbow fish as an interesting and colourful mix.
Fogelhund

Postby wallyb0rd000 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:25 pm

a friend of mine has two (one inch) seven stripe frontosa. I realize they will get too large for this tank but would that work with the occies for a while? also, what about the dwarf sumbu idea once the fry has grown?
10gal-brevis fry tank
20long-brevis tank
wallyb0rd000

Postby Fogelhund » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:05 pm

wallyb0rd000 wrote:a friend of mine has two (one inch) seven stripe frontosa. I realize they will get too large for this tank but would that work with the occies for a while? also, what about the dwarf sumbu idea once the fry has grown?

The dwarf sumbu are shell dwellers, they will compete for the shells, causing issues in the tank.

The frontosa might work for a couple of months, but then why add them, just to take them out and disturb the tank?
Fogelhund

Postby wallyb0rd000 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:54 pm

understood. Didnt realize they were shell dwellers as well. the Frontosas need a home, thats why i would put them in my tank but then i guess in a few months I would have a similar issue where they need to be re-homed and I dont have the tank size. how big of a tank would I need to keep the frontosa?
10gal-brevis fry tank
20long-brevis tank
wallyb0rd000

Postby Darkskies » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:37 pm

wallyb0rd000 wrote:understood. Didnt realize they were shell dwellers as well. the Frontosas need a home, thats why i would put them in my tank but then i guess in a few months I would have a similar issue where they need to be re-homed and I dont have the tank size. how big of a tank would I need to keep the frontosa?

You need a minimum of a 6' tank to keep a colony of frontosa so probably 125 gallons. A pair of the smaller julidochromis species with your occies should complete your tank. Alternatively you could probably have the sumbu comps with a pair of julies instead of the occies.
Darkskies

Postby reflexhunter » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:58 pm

I second paracyps, probably going to get some for my 29 with black occies that are in it right now. I have some illydon furcidens in there right now, they are a little too aggressive for my liking, wanting more occie fry.
reflexhunter

Postby wallyb0rd000 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:39 am

how many paracyps and how many occies should I order? I found a breeder that can meet me by my work ansd has both but can't sex. also, better off with the paracyps or some danios or something?
10gal-brevis fry tank
20long-brevis tank
wallyb0rd000

Postby reflexhunter » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:42 am

Start with 6 occies, that should give you a good shot at both sexes, never had paracyps so someone else will probably give you better advise on that, but I would think 6 of those would do well.

As far as danios, it's just what you want to do, keep it a tang tank only or mix it up, you will need to go with a smaller danio, giant danios get about 3 inches and I think would be cramped in a 29' IMO
reflexhunter

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species