Lake Tanganyika Species • brichardi

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

brichardi

Postby Dominateprimate » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:26 am

I'm thinking about doing a Dafodilli Brichardi tank; problem is, I'm pretty limited on space between all my other tanks. I was wondering if a 10 would be to small to keep a pair in while periodically removing the fry obviously. Does anyone think I might want to do a 20 long or something? If so that's about the longest I could go in this space I have. If I couldn't do it please tell me. I want the fish in an ideal environment rather than an environment that is ideal for me. I don't want them to be crammed into too small of an area.
55g Mbuna
125 Hap
Dominateprimate

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: brichardi

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:58 am

The 10 gallon is too small. A 20 gallon long would be ideal.
Fogelhund

Re: brichardi

Postby sunnee1 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:49 pm

i would like to tell you a bit of my experience with N brichardi. my first group was in a 29 tall.That seemed it would work, I had a tall large rock in back/middle and corners had tall rock structures for fry to find their own territories later on. Removal of dozens of fry every couple months absolutely necessary. It was great-till I retired the trio. The group I have now are albino N brichardi and there was two in a 48in long of which I had separated a 12 in (aprox) section for them to do their thing. That was ok for five or six months and the male started venturing out to the main area and tormenting the other occupants so as to take over. They are now in a (small 24 in) 20 tall and, though not a lot of room nor ideal, they are thriving-producing larger broods and regular spawning and have gotten a second group producing with the male at the helm! lol He jets back and forth to his wives areas. AS I sit here writing I look over and see him working the left side jetting to the right side putting his nose in doing what needs to be done and a minute later jets back to the right side--very exciting and interesting to watch thhe dynamics of these fish. I have to say the 24 in is way too small, even tho they are doing ok I won't be allowing them to stay in there much longer-having seen them wanting to take over the 48-A ten? I wouldn't do it-keep the ten for short term grow out for the fry tho--your'e gonna need it!
Sry-I get long winded...
sunnee1

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species