Lake Tanganyika Species • What's the diffrence between comp and caluvs?

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Re: What's the diffrence between comp and caluvs?

Postby 24Tropheus » Sun May 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Fogelhund wrote:
24Tropheus wrote:
Are you suggesting that calvus and comps can not co exist in a 180g 72"x24"x24"?

They didn't co-exist too well in my flat 125 gallon... 72"x 18" x 24"... and I'm not sure the lower height makes any difference for Altos.

Wow. Apreciate the advice. From what I have seen Fogelhund you are better at getting stuff to mix well in smallish tanks than me. I may cut this experiment short before losing fish.

All the best James
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Ptyochromis » Sun May 27, 2012 6:28 pm

I have no idea if the two can co-exist in a 125, there have been reports of them interbreeding. Any fry resulting from either should be culled.
Ptyochromis

Postby m1ke715m » Sun May 27, 2012 10:53 pm

I've got calvus and comps in my 125 gallon male mixed tank.. they dont fight and havent bred... any fry would get eaten in there anyways.. the calvus only seem interested in pushing the other calvus around.. the comps mind their own business.. theres only 2 bigger comps at the moment but they dont even bother each other.. I've got a number of comps and calvus growing out in a 40 breeder with a group of breeding lwanda peacocks and they dont fight either but they arent at that size yet where they really start murdering each other and i have alot of shells in there for them to hide in
m1ke715m

Postby 24Tropheus » Mon May 28, 2012 2:57 pm

m1ke715m wrote:I've got calvus and comps in my 125 gallon male mixed tank.. they dont fight and havent bred... any fry would get eaten in there anyways.. the calvus only seem interested in pushing the other calvus around.. the comps mind their own business.. theres only 2 bigger comps at the moment but they dont even bother each other.. I've got a number of comps and calvus growing out in a 40 breeder with a group of breeding lwanda peacocks and they dont fight either but they arent at that size yet where they really start murdering each other and i have alot of shells in there for them to hide in

Kind of reasuring its kind of like my six foot, a very mixed bag of fish. So far so good and hoping it will stay that way but on the look out for problems and guys that need separating. :thumb:
I guess you are talking about the Altolamps using shells not the lwanda peacocks. Funny I found males to be totaly intollerant of each other but you may have more and have a stable balance. 8)
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Postby m1ke715m » Mon May 28, 2012 4:09 pm

I've been told if you start with a large amount of them its better.. i have over 10 in there.. maybe 15 in with the lwandas... I've got 2 huge pairs of yellow calvus in a different tank and they tolerate each other too.. the males push each other around alil bit but not much... they grew out together i think that helps alot too
m1ke715m

Previous

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species