Lake Tanganyika Species • fry feeding suggestions

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

fry feeding suggestions

Postby scottdeasy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:40 pm

I am not having much luck with my fry survival rate. Keeping them in a fry tank with sponge filters.
I am looking for food and feeding suggestions as I think that is where the problem lies.
Your advice is greatly appreciated.
scottdeasy

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: fry feeding suggestions

Postby 24Tropheus » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:37 pm

scottdeasy wrote:I am not having much luck with my fry survival rate. Keeping them in a fry tank with sponge filters.
I am looking for food and feeding suggestions as I think that is where the problem lies.
Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Which species?
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Postby scottdeasy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:45 pm

J. dickfeldi is what I am having the least luck with.
scottdeasy

Postby 24Tropheus » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:01 pm

Not realy sure what to say.
Free swimming Julidochromis fry are large enough to eat newly hatched brine shrimp, but should not be fed until their yolk sacks have been finished off. I like to give crushed flake as well. They graze on this and the algae that grows on a sponge filter.
Its always a balance between feeding too little or too much but not found Julies particuarly difficult except perhaps the very low numbers per batch leading to overfeeding.
Your not removing them from the adults are you or mixing them with other fry?
No need, they make excelent parents and moving them can damage young fry and mixing fry often caurses problems

All the best James.
Tanks 180, empty revamping 100,65,60g Tropheus/tang communities 75g revamping. 29gx3 shelly communities, 29g Trigs breeding. 20gx2 shelly tanks. BCA member 207. Try it you might like it.
24Tropheus

Postby scottdeasy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:20 am

I appreciate the information.
Other than baby brine shrimp and crushed flake, do you feed them anything else? Is there a particular method to feeding them. I just separated the adults from the community tank and put them in a 20 gallon to see if that helps. They are easier to monitor this way. I may take out the hob and but in two small sponges. Other advice?
Thanks again.
scottdeasy

Postby 24Tropheus » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:33 am

I also use ZM fry foods. http://www.zmsystems.co.uk/index.php?ap ... ef=zmintro but I dunno what the US equivolent is. :oops:
24Tropheus

Postby kenko » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Hikari First Bites work really well. I also finely crush NLS - and like 24Tropheus, bbs and crushed flake.

HOBs work well for fry tanks too, though you'll generally need to cover the intake with a sponge to avoid getting sucked up.

Sticking to water changes?
kenko

Postby scottdeasy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:37 am

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, doing water changes regularly. I am worried the hob is too strong even with a sponge. Its an Emp 280 on a 20 gal. Don't really want to get a smaller filter and I have plenty of matured/cycled sponges ready to go.
scottdeasy

Postby ahud » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:23 pm

I really like microworms. Easy to culture and live in the tank for hours.
ahud

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species