Lake Tanganyika Species • Gel food

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Postby ahud » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:42 pm

I'm going to feed what I have, but my fish are not showing much interest in the food, so I won't repurchase. Not like everybody else seems to be experiencing anyway. My main complaint is the food is messy and I'm not sure how much to feed.
ahud

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby dmiller328 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:05 pm

I make much more mess feeding my fish pellets than the Repashy gel food.Pellets get sucked up into the power filter if not turned off,on the top of sponge filters and under rocks where they rot.The gel food goes straight to the bottom of the tank where the fish feed.Any cloudiness in the water clears up in no time at all.Not all fish will like to eat it and many takes some time to get used to it.I start feeding them a very small amount and then come back in a couple hours to see if it is gone.I then adjust accordingly the amount given just like any other type food.Anyone used to feeding frozen fish formulas will have no issue and pellet feeders will take a little time to get used it.It looks like a large amount of gel food given but 75% of it is water and it is almost impossible to overfeed the fish with it.

With that said I am still going to feed most of my adult fish mainly pellets as it is the best bang for the $.For fry the Repashy food works great.My Dwarf Sumbu fry love it! As well as the C.furcifer and gobies.
dmiller328

Postby GTZ » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:35 pm

I added some finely diced pieces to a cup with tank water. Swirled and dumped. This worked better for keeping the water clear. There was enough for everyone as evidenced by all of my fish looking like they were brooding ;)
75G L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.) | Ps. demasoni | Met. greshakei
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby ahud » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:59 pm

My fry are just not going for it, I have been trying to get them to eat it since I got it. I crushed it up, fed it whole, ect, but no takers. Of course they will pick at it from time to time, but that is about it. I have not tried any other formula besides the shrimp souffle though.

Idk if I agree pellets are messier, according to how you feed I guess.

For fry, I can swipe my finger along the microworm culture and the small guys can eat on that all day since the worms live for several hours. So no need to replace that. I do wish I had something similar for when they get larger, hence the interest in Repashy.
ahud

Postby tjudy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:20 pm

Great discussion of a great food! I use the food almost exclusively now (full disclosure... I am also a distributor of the food), but when I started with it I was thinking I would only use it for growing fry. Repashy is uniquely suited for providing grow out tanks with a ready source of food for the fry to feed on all day. By playing with amounts I have figure out how much to feed for 100 fry to be able to eat on it all day. It is great to see fish with full constantly full bellies, and the increase in growth rates are reflecting that.

Then I expected to have to change the water more often... but that has not been the case. Traditional dry foods contain a lot of relatively indigestible binders that end up passing through the fish and increasing the nitrogenous waste load in the tank. Repashy has a lot less binder (5% compared to 20%+) and the binder is a more easily digestible algae protein. Short answer.... there is a lot less poop on the bottom of the tank. When I feed the bristlenose plecos zuchini or pellet food, I get long strings of #%$& all over the bottom of the tank. This does not happen with Repashy. I am assuming that this indicates that a higher percentage of the food is actually being used metabolically by the fish.

I have a page with information, videos and comments about the food if you are interested in seeing it: www.tedsfishroom.com/repashy
Happiness is an overflowing white worm culture.
tjudy

Postby ahud » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:22 pm

Tjudy, (or anyone else)

Hopefully we can get this discussion going and I can learn something. I know next to nothing about food and if any questions or comments sound personal I promise I do not mean them that way. Usually these food threads take the bad road and I would hate to see that here.

First of all, a lot of people that are pushing the food comment on how much the fish like it. That does absolutely nothing for me and I wish there were more facts instead of just generic comments such as "the fish go nuts, the fish attack the food, ect". Not to mention, that has not been my experience at all, everything except my apistogramma and Alfaro cultratus ignored the food even after multiple feedings. I think these generic comments hype the food up a bit, and make it tough to get better answers. Not to mention it is kind of useless info, I have had fish that refuse NLS at first, but after starving them I get them accustomed to it

Second, since the food is 75% water would that not make the fish poop more? I would see that as being the reason for more poop versus the use of less binder. Thoughts?

Third, since the food is 75% water how do you know how much to feed? Do you try to feed what the fish will eat in 8-12 hours or is there some other type of method?

Fourth, RD (A fellow from MonsterfishKeeper who was sort of snarky, but I thought he raised some good questions) stated that since the food has so much water that it is actually way less nutrient dense than a pellet. Is this a bad thing? Again, how do we know how much to feed? Can the fish even eat enough of the gel in an acceptable time frame to get as much nutrients as they would from a pellet?

Fifth, have you tried all of the formulas? Are any taken with more gusto than others? I don't understand why my fish turn up their noses at the shrimp souffle, the fry even blow it back out instead of eating it!

As an aside, I have no idea if our fish even need as much nutrition as we give them via pellets. After all, they are not livestock that we are trying to fatten up as much as possible. I hear people that have seen wild fish so that our tank kept fish look fat. I wish food was not such a difficult topic! I think this hobby has more myths, tall tales, ect then any other. Not to mention everybody is an expert and that contributes to the problem.
ahud

Postby dmiller328 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:07 am

I don't think anyone here is "pushing" the food, even Repashy stated that he believed this is a niche food. The purpose of this forum is to comment on our personal experience and what works for us personally,there is nothing "generic" about that.My experience with the Repashy food is for the most part positive but there are certain species that like it much better than others such as the algae grazers and rock pickers.Fish that eat in the water column don't go for it nearly as much.I do have some Tang killifish that will eat it as it falls.

When it comes to water content of the food, it is actually more like them eating animals and algae in the wild that is mainly made up of water. This does not cause them to poop more. Looking at many packages of frozen fish food and many times it will state the protein% in wet form and dry.

When most feed pellets they are eaten within a few minutes while the Repashy is stretched for an hour or more.I don't know for fish nutrition,but for us humans spreading out the food over the course of the day keeps our metabolism much higher than just eating one big meal.

I have given out samples to people that was interested in trying it b/c it is not for everyone or every fish.
dmiller328

Postby zimmy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:55 am

Any word yet on when the Vegan Algae formula will become available?

I'd like to try it with my trophs and petros.
zimmy

Postby Allen Repashy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:20 pm

Honestly, the only thing holding things up at with the Vegan Formula at this point is a good photo of a Tropheus or Petrochromis so I can finish the label! hint hint.

Photographer get's their name printed on every label..... anyone...... Bueller?

Allen
Allen Repashy

Postby GTZ » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:08 am

I'd be all over that if I stocked either :D
55G WC Cynotilapia sp. 'hara' | Metriaclima sp. 'elongatus chewere' | L. caeruleus (Lundo Is.)
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby littleolme » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:29 pm

I took the plunge and picked up a 2 oz pack of Soilent Green at the DRAS annual auction from one of the vendors to try it with my mbunas and bushynose plecos.

My acei, yellow labs, rusties and plecos all love it and took to it immediately. It took my saulosi a bit to figure out it was food but once they did, it was eaten pretty quickly. My acei fry also took to it immediately. I'm not sure the term "grazing" applies, my fry seemed to eat for about 4 hours constantly until it was all gone! The adults ate it all in minutes.

I find the consistancy a bit loose when following the recommended mixing directions, I think I'll mix it with a bit more powder next time I make it so it's a bit firmer. I might try to apply it to a piece of lace rock and see how that works out as well. Whoever said it stinks, I agree, I'm glad I mixed it outside. As far as water clarity, it was kind of messy in the water column with my adult fish as they tore into it pretty quickly but I have an AC70 with a skimmer and it cleared up pretty quickly. Within 30 minutes I couldn't find a trace of it anywhere in the water column or on the substrate.
Phil and Tammy
75g - Acei, Saulosi, Rusties, Calvus
20g - N. Brevis
littleolme

Postby lufbramatt » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:38 pm

This stuff sounds great and could be a solution for feeding my syno. lucipinnis catfish- their previous favourite food, tetra wafers, had to be stopped after one of my comps got one wedged in it's jaw- but is it stocked anywhere in the UK? I can only find the reptile foods over here :(
lufbramatt

Postby GTZ » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:47 pm

http://www.repashy.co.uk/
It isn't listed yet so you may need to message them for specific ordering information.
Flickr
Malawi Bloat
GTZ
Admin - Forum

Postby AlphaWild » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:04 pm

Our club had Mr. Repashy as a guest speaker last week. I don't have much to report that hasn't already been discussed or posted on the recommended sites. I will just give my impression that the man seems to know his stuff, and is obviously more interested in producing a quality product than making a ton of money. Thanks for coming out to CAFE Alan!
AlphaWild

Postby Allen Repashy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks for having me out!

I had a great time at the meeting and an even greater time over the following days out seining the local streams and rivers for native fish.... The greenside darters were absolutely fantastic in their full breeding colors.

Cheers, Allen
Allen Repashy

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species