Lake Tanganyika Species • Cyathopharynx foai (Sibwesa) Lighting??

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Cyathopharynx foai (Sibwesa) Lighting??

Postby Thanusan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:19 pm

I have a group of Cyathopharynx foai (Sibwesa) 2m 8F. Both males colour up very nice in day light and when i put my fish tank lights on, both males fully lose their colour. does any one know why?? my tank is 60x18 x30h( tall tank). Iam not using bright lighting, iam only using 3feet T5 (double Lighting). If i turn off the tank light and turn on my living room light, both males will get the colour back.
Any one have these cichlids, do you know what kind of lighting is best for them

Thanks
Shawn
Thanusan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Here some Pic in Day light

Postby Thanusan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanusan

Postby dmiller328 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:51 pm

Very nice Sibwesas you have there!!

The problem with lighting for most featherfins and many Tangs is not as much the intensity of light but the angle that the light hits the side of the fish,which bounces off them to show their color.The best lighting for color is natural sunlight hitting the side of the tank.A strip light mounted close to the front and angled back can help but with a very tall tank like yours it would do much good.Right now I have a 6ft 210 gallon with my Kigoma furcifers and a 4 ft T5 light strip.I found that a mix of daylight and 10K looks pretty good while actinic bulbs tend to wash out the color.One of these days I would like to try a metal halide angled to see how it looks.

I am watch my alpha male furcifer Kigoma getting ready to breed as I type!
dmiller328

Postby Jolly cichlids » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:06 pm

seems like you as well as others in the GTA got hit with wrongly labeled sibwesa. Those are not foai sibwesa, foai sibwesa don't get the yellow fringing around the anal and dorsal thats on your fish. Here is a true wild sibwesa
Jolly cichlids

Foai Sibwesa

Postby Thanusan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:34 pm

These fishes are 100% foai sibwesa, I bought it from price network member and he got it form Darius, here is the video of the actual fish breeding.

http://s824.photobucket.com/albums/...nt=MVI_5003.mp4

thanks
Shawn
Thanusan

Postby PrinceG » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:36 am

Those are exactly the same with mine:
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac27 ... 186750.jpg
but not sibwesa i wish i knew what mine are!!!
Mine show that red color as yours with living room lights on.
I use led for the tank so i plan to put a warm light led or T5 or T8 .
You can also give a try with one T5 daylight and one T5 white warm light around 6000kelvins
PrinceG

Postby Jolly cichlids » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:03 am

Maybe they could be furcifer sibwesa but now your in the furcifer guessing game. You bought them from a guy who bought them from Darius who bought them through the czech replublic. While all the while everyone in the chain has never seen the parents :D , and this wouldn't be the first time that Darius sold someone a hybrid fish maybe not knowingly. Darius is a nice guy but its the ones he was ordering from that can't be trusted 100% you can't tell at the size he imported them at. Do you think your the only one in the world that got wrongly labeled furcifer/foai, recently their was a few people who i know of who got bad foai/furcifer off of bluechip aquatics and he's been around longer than Darius. A little birdie told me he's getting out of the business tho so makes sense "what do you want, yeah its right here" lol
Jolly cichlids

new pic

Postby Thanusan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Thanusan

Postby BioG » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:01 am

nice fish all, regardless of where they came from. Sometimes, I'll admit, I'm a prude when it comes to fish source etc. but with Cyathopharynx for some reason, I'm just not.

They are all just so similar... Maybe if I was really set on acquiring one of the yellow cap varieties I would be particular but I could really give a rip if their is a bit of yellow in the fins or whatever.... I'm just counting the hours....days...months...years until I get to see those beautiful blue bodies and long fins!
BioG

Postby dmiller328 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:02 am

How can someone tell with 100% certainty that their wild C.foai females are not C.furcifer if they are caught at same location such as Sibwesa.Many of the importers just label them under C.furcifer.

I have seen many pics of tank raised C.foai copper with a little yellow in the dorsal.

That is one of the reasons I like my C.furcifer Kigoma,they already look like a foai crossed with a furcifer but the only type found at Kigoma.
dmiller328

Postby noddy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:32 am

Jolly cichlids wrote:seems like you as well as others in the GTA got hit with wrongly labeled sibwesa. Those are not foai sibwesa, foai sibwesa don't get the yellow fringing around the anal and dorsal thats on your fish. Here is a true wild sibwesa

If you enlarge this pic, you can see the yellow outline of the fish's dorsal.
noddy

Postby Thanusan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:53 pm

Now iam not sure the type of foai, my foai have the yellow outline too.. after doing some reading i know that there is few diffent kind of sibwesa out there example-copper, blue
Maybe some one could tell me the type..Mine are not fully grown yet.... when breeding my males face get fully black.
Thanusan

Postby Thanusan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:03 pm

http://www.tomstanganyikans.com/

tom has 2 dif kinds of Sibwesa blue and sibwesa copper ( one type have lots of yellow in the back tail)
Thanusan

Postby Jolly cichlids » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:41 pm

Yes your cyathopharynx look like furcifer with all that yellow in the dorsal and anal fin. So they definitely could be blue blaze furcifer sibwesa. Eventually you should see a blue sheen on their flank when fully colored. As for the lights which was the original question i use two 10,000k coralife HO and they show off their colors very well.
Jolly cichlids

Postby Thanusan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Thank you , single light or double?
Thanusan

Next

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species