Cichlid Fish Forum banner

F1 Enantiopus kilesa fry (photo journal)

30K views 87 replies 27 participants last post by  Razzo 
#1 ·
Just had my first successful spawn from my wild caught Enantiopus kilesa :D

Here are a few pics...

Dad

Mom

Stripped on Day 12 from the spawn

Hope you enjoy :)

See less See more
#8 ·
BioG said:
Razzo,

Can you take some really bad, maybe out of focus, poorly lit, just really bad pics of your fish so that I can post some pics that won't look awful compared to yours! :lol:

Great! Just Great, like always!
Uh, ok :) :lol: Thank you for the compliment.

#11 ·
illinois9er said:
If you want to sell some of those fry just let me know, I live in the next state over.
If they go crazy like the callos and calvus have - maybe :wink:

A little soon for those thoughts - for now, I am just enjoying them :)

What part of Illinois are you from? I lived most of my life in Chicagoland before moving to Indiana seven years ago.

Russ

#13 ·
Razzo said:
illinois9er said:
If you want to sell some of those fry just let me know, I live in the next state over.

What part of Illinois are you from? I lived most of my life in Chicagoland before moving to Indiana seven years ago.

Russ
Quincy area, it is west central on the Mississippi.

#14 ·
illinois9er said:
Razzo said:
illinois9er said:

Russ
Been there, many times. My dad was in the Veterans Home there. :)

#15 ·
Congratulations. I have been breeding this fish for over a year. Sometimes the female holds well for me, at times not.

#16 ·
Congrats Razzo and thanks for sharing.
My male is building castles and flaring nicely at the females who are slowly fattening up after their import (they were a bit skinny) so I hope to have fry of my own before the summers out.
Did your male select just one female to bond with or is he promiscuous?

#17 ·
Mr Mbuna said:
Congrats Razzo and thanks for sharing.
My male is building castles and flaring nicely at the females who are slowly fattening up after their import (they were a bit skinny) so I hope to have fry of my own before the summers out.
Did your male select just one female to bond with or is he promiscuous?
My largest male started displaying first but none of the females wanted to spawn with him. Then, after some time, my 2nd largest male seized the opportunity and started displaying. I think he'll spawn with any female that is willing. I think his jo is to entice the females into coming into season. He has spawned with two females already. The first female didn't hold well - she couldn't resist the urge to eat. This second female did perfect.

Best wishes on getting some fry over there.

Russ

#18 ·
Razzo said:
illinois9er said:
Razzo said:
illinois9er said:

Russ
Been there, many times. My dad was in the Veterans Home there. :)
Very nice, I live about 20 minutes out in a small town.

#21 ·
Congrats on the spawn Razzo. I have a female holding now for the first time since I put them in the tank. I see your photo of them free swimming on day 4, is that 4 days after stripping? So 16 days from spawning to free swimming? I'm not very confident of her holding to term but, if she's still holding after 10 days or so I will strip her. Would you suggest I wait 12 days? Or do you think I could strip a little early? I definately don't want to tumble. P.S great photos as usual.

#22 ·
noddy said:
Congrats on the spawn Razzo. I have a female holding now for the first time since I put them in the tank. I see your photo of them free swimming on day 4, is that 4 days after stripping? So 16 days from spawning to free swimming? I'm not very confident of her holding to term but, if she's still holding after 10 days or so I will strip her. Would you suggest I wait 12 days? Or do you think I could strip a little early? I definately don't want to tumble. P.S great photos as usual.
Congrats!

That is day four after stripping. I plan to strip next time on day 14 after the spawn.

Hope that helps.

Russ

#25 ·
Razzo said:
noddy said:
Congrats!

That is day four after stripping. I plan to strip next time on day 14 after the spawn.

Hope that helps.

Russ
That's a big help Russ, thanks bud. Oh, and again, great pics.

#26 ·
Hey guys, all are doing well :) Here is a photo update:

My guess is that the males are the one's starting to develop the blue highlights on the dorsal fins

Moved them from the floating nursery in the 72-gallon tank to their own 2.5 gallon fry tank.
Below is the 2.5 gallon tank being painted black. I wanted to try this for photography purposes.

The new tank (CaribSea Bahamas Oolite and a few shells for effect):

Russ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.