Lake Tanganyika Species • F1 Frontosa "Zaire Blue" Kapampa

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderator: triscuit

Re: F1 Frontosa "Zaire Blue" Kapampa

Postby Floridagirl » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Wow, they sure have grown! Beautiful tank and fish!
Too many fish to choose from, too few tanks!
Floridagirl

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby iandraco » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:18 am

wow. great looking tank and kaps. cant wait for my mobas to get that big.
show me a cichlid that isn't hungry and i'll show you a cichlid that isn't happy.
iandraco

Postby Super Turtleman » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks.
Stocklist: F1 Zaire Blue Kapampa Frontosa, Williamsi North Makonde, Kawanga Gold Zebras, Saulosi, White Labs, Elongatus Mbenji Blue, S. multipunctatus, J. marlieri, Tropheus Duboisi & Chimba Red, Tropheops Chilumba (Mphanga)
Super Turtleman

Postby Super Turtleman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:36 am

Here's a recent video.

Stocklist: F1 Zaire Blue Kapampa Frontosa, Williamsi North Makonde, Kawanga Gold Zebras, Saulosi, White Labs, Elongatus Mbenji Blue, S. multipunctatus, J. marlieri, Tropheus Duboisi & Chimba Red, Tropheops Chilumba (Mphanga)
Super Turtleman

Postby NJmomie » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:15 am

Super Turtleman, WOW, I love the two tanks. So, the frontosas you have had for two years and they grew that much? How many M/F ratio for the frontosa and the tropheus? Are they all mature now? Do you plan on breeding them? Sorry for the many questions, I am so jealous...they look great.
NJmomie

Postby clarkd9100 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Here is a pic of the male kasanga comp that was rehomed to me. He is about 4in now.
not a very good pic since he won't stay still but I thought I'd share anyway
clarkd9100

Postby Ron R. » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:22 pm

When I saw this post I thought you had just acquired these fry and was going to congratulate you. Then I noticed you had 3 pages of posts to this thread dating back to 2010.

Your babies are no longer babies!!!!!!!! And, they are beautiful........great coloring.

You will most likely start seeing tubes dropping down on your females. Remember males take longer to mature so they won't be able to fertilize the eggs. You have a kap colony with much promise spawning-wise.

Congrats again and I really enjoyed your pics and vids. Great to see their development from 1" up to their present size.

You've done a great job with them.
180 g Oceanic. WC Moba Frontosa Colony & numerous fry. Equipment: 2 2217 Eheims, 2 6080 Tunze Streams, WISA airpump, Johnson temp controller....fishkeeping since 1988.
Ron R.

Postby Super Turtleman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:21 pm

NJmomie wrote:Super Turtleman, WOW, I love the two tanks. So, the frontosas you have had for two years and they grew that much? How many M/F ratio for the frontosa and the tropheus? Are they all mature now? Do you plan on breeding them? Sorry for the many questions, I am so jealous...they look great.

They're about 3 years old now and doing great. Not ready to breed yet but I'm looking forward to it in the next couple years hopefully. There's a small group of 5 Julies in there with them too. They just didn't feel like being on tv that day. lol

As for M/F ratio I'm not sure. I have some for sure males and for sure females. So far things have been pleasant but if I start having aggression issues I'll make sure to start identifying some males for removal. I'm hoping to keep 3 males long term...and provide a bigger tank as well.

As for the tropheus, I think I have 4 males and 5 females. They are a breeding group I acquired off a member on another forum. I'm not planning to make any changes to the group unless I start having issues. I'm hoping to source a group of Chimba Reds to add to the tank so I can have two breeding groups in it.

I do plan on breeding pretty much anything I keep...it's an addiction. Lol.
Super Turtleman

Postby Super Turtleman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:23 pm

clarkd9100 wrote:Here is a pic of the male kasanga comp that was rehomed to me. He is about 4in now.
not a very good pic since he won't stay still but I thought I'd share anyway

Glad he's doing well. I do miss those guys. I regret selling them. Lol. I'm gonna eventually set up a tank for some Comps or Calvus and try my hand at breeding them. When I had the female she did spawn for me several times...but I wasn't able to salvage any of the fry.
Super Turtleman

Postby Super Turtleman » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Ron R. wrote:When I saw this post I thought you had just acquired these fry and was going to congratulate you. Then I noticed you had 3 pages of posts to this thread dating back to 2010.

Your babies are no longer babies!!!!!!!! And, they are beautiful........great coloring.

You will most likely start seeing tubes dropping down on your females. Remember males take longer to mature so they won't be able to fertilize the eggs. You have a kap colony with much promise spawning-wise.

Congrats again and I really enjoyed your pics and vids. Great to see their development from 1" up to their present size.

You've done a great job with them.

Yeah, I've documented them on a few different forums. Everyone (including myself) enjoys looking at their progress over the past few years. I really enjoy the peacefulness of the tank (with the exception of the mad dash that occurs when they're startled). Lol.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm looking forward to providing them with a bigger tank and watching them reach their full adult size.
Super Turtleman

Postby Razzo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm

Congrats! Kaps are one of my favorites!

I say keep all 13 and get a 240 gallon tank :wink: The eight foot footprint is super for fronts!
Recovering frontosa breeder (I have had a relapse)
Razzo

Postby Super Turtleman » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:33 pm

Just watched my Fronts attempting to breed. You can clearly see an egg at the 1:46 mark. I'm not sure they're mature enough to fertilize eggs but it's exciting to see mating behavior and eggs about.

Super Turtleman

Postby Ron R. » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:17 am

Your female is definitely laying eggs and trying to spawn. Males take longer than females to mature.......usually 3-4 years. Your male is going through all the steps.........fluttering over the egg and chasing off other fish that get too close. Definitely a good sign.

How old are your males?

Don't feed the tank for 5 days, otherwise your momma may be tempted to eat or spit out her eggs. If your male is immature the eggs will not be fertilized and the momma will most likely eat them. When you feed your tank on day 6 feed what a regular food, not anything too enticing like frozen krill or mysis. If this female eats on day 6 you will know that her eggs were not fertilized. If she bumps the food then she's still holding eggs in her mouth.

Not sure if you intend to strip your females or let them hold. If you intend to strip, get a good double screen tumbler. Jrogo out of NY sells a quality unit. You will know by day 5-6 if she still has a mouthful of eggs. I strip my wc moba mommas at day 10-11.

Congrats and good luck!!!!!!!!! Exciting times for you and your fish.
180 g Oceanic. WC Moba Frontosa Colony & numerous fry. Equipment: 2 2217 Eheims, 2 6080 Tunze Streams, WISA airpump, Johnson temp controller....fishkeeping since 1988.
Ron R.

Postby Super Turtleman » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:00 am

I think I'll let her hold this first time if her eggs are viable. I may move the rocks to give them more room. I just did a water change and rescape and they chose the tightest spot as their love den.
Super Turtleman

Postby Super Turtleman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:14 pm

Just a quick update. She didn't hold the eggs (as expected) but I'm still excited to know I could have fry in the next year or two. Maybe by then I'll have an 8 footer for them.
Super Turtleman

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species