Lake Tanganyika Species • Post Pics of your Altolamps!

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Re: Post Pics of your Altolamps!

Postby Razzo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:54 pm

StevenHing wrote:Hi Guys, Greetings from Singapore.

Just sharing Picture of my spawning GoldHead Comp, sorry for the lousy picture, taken in my spawning tank.

Steven,

VERY nice Gold Head group! Love the color on your male and how it goes all the way back by the tail.

Also, like the fry in shell pics too.

Russ
Recovering frontosa breeder (I have had a relapse)
Razzo

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Razzo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:01 pm

Here's a few more pics of my newly acquired Black Congo Calvus group. Palau, the dominant male has since beat up the subdominant male who I rescued, in time, to a 10-gallon hospital tank. The subdom male is now fully recovered and swimming in my 240-gallon C. gibberosa tank. I'll try to add a pic of him with the fronts later. Much to my surprise, Palau also started attacking one of the females. I was not able to save her :(

Here are those pics of Palau in the 40-gallon tank...

Razzo

Postby StevenHing » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:47 pm

Steven,

VERY nice Gold Head group! Love the color on your male and how it goes all the way back by the tail.

Also, like the fry in shell pics too.

Russ[/quote]

Hi Russ!!

Thanks for the compliments... I rescue this goldhead from the LFS about 2-3 years back, he was in a really bad shape and had really bad fin rot and cloudy eye..... But i was impressed with intense gold colour even when he was sick that i decided to take him home and try to nurse him back to health.... Since then he had given me a few spawn.

And i also really love your black calvus white pearl..... But over in Sg here, we can rarely get our hands on such quality fish... Once a while, a LFS might bring in some good fish but because shipping and fatality rates are high... Local LFS dun really want to ship in from Africa, Czech or Germany...
StevenHing

Postby Razzo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Steven,

That was a great rescue! I like him even more now! Have you given him a name?

I know many do not name their fish. However, an awesome rescue like him qualifies (at least in my book).

Russ
Razzo

Postby Razzo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:53 pm

New pic of Palau that I captured yesterday. Boy, am I glad to have Altolamps back in my fish room :D

Hope you like...

Altolamprologus calvus (Black Congo Calvus)

Cheers,
Russ
Razzo

Postby StevenHing » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:15 pm

Razzo wrote:Steven,

I know many do not name their fish. However, an awesome rescue like him qualifies (at least in my book).

Russ

Russ,

No, i have not... Probably i should.

Do you know what is the general lifespan of Altos Comp? When i rescued him 2-3years back, the LFS labelled him as WC Muzi Gold head, he was a good 5 over inches then... I know they grow slowwww.... But the last 2-3 years... He probably didn't grow much although he recovered fully and spawned a few times. He is probably over his prime already....
StevenHing

Postby Razzo » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:10 pm

StevenHing wrote:
Razzo wrote:Steven,

Russ

Russ,

No, i have not... Probably i should.

Do you know what is the general lifespan of Altos Comp? When i rescued him 2-3years back, the LFS labelled him as WC Muzi Gold head, he was a good 5 over inches then... I know they grow slowwww.... But the last 2-3 years... He probably didn't grow much although he recovered fully and spawned a few times. He is probably over his prime already....

Not absolutely sure Steven. I'm guessing 7 to 10 years. 5 to 7" for mature males. 7" being rare.
Razzo

Postby Razzo » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:16 pm

Pursuit.... Wild caught Altolamprologus calvus (Black Congo Calvus) in pursuit of prey.
Razzo

Postby T-Royale » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:42 am

These are pics of my recently deceased WC Kasanga male formerly known as "Old Yellow". He was a 6"+ beautiful male with blue and yellow highlights in his fins and a killer yellow head. I really could never get good pics but i was able to salvage a few. He spawned three times with two broods having a few fry that grew to almost an inch within two months, while all the other fry were .25". I was able to keep one of the large fry alive only to come home after a week vacation to find him deceased stuck under a rock. I have 9 of his offspring from the last spawn that are currently in the 1.75" range. Hopefully a few males will grow just as glorious as Old Yellow was. Im feeling a little melancholy as I post these pics. R.I.P and LONG LIVE OLD YELLA!

T-Royale

Postby StevenHing » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi T-Royale,

Your Old-Yellow was really a solid looking piece, sorry to hear that he has passed on. :(

My experience from breeding them so far after at least 5 spawns, of which at least a couple of the fries in every spawn grow up to adulthood, until now 4 years and counting. I have none that takes after the male's traits of solid yellow head. I have breed it with at least 3 different female goldhead which were of pretty good standard but non of the off-spring come close to the males' colour. I have yet to encounter a female with such intense goldhead that I can use to breed.

But I have heard from another hobbyist that to achieve the F0 males' trait, one can use F1 female to breed with the FO males to achieve the result. I have not done it myself as I am worry about the inbreeding genetic faults.
StevenHing

Postby StevenHing » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:17 pm

Managed to find some time to take some pictures. Sharing Pics of my Community Tanganyika Main tank consists mainly Alto Compressiceps.
Occasional some chasing here and there, but overall a still fairly peaceful tank.

[IMG]
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t36 ... gvi5rc.jpg[/IMG]

StevenHing

Postby mikeval » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:15 am

StevenHing wrote:Managed to find some time to take some pictures. Sharing Pics of my Community Tanganyika Main tank consists mainly Alto Compressiceps.
Occasional some chasing here and there, but overall a still fairly peaceful tank.

Very Nice, what size tank you got, do you think it is the number of Alto's, like in an all male Malawi tank that you keep over crowded that is keeping the aggression down?
mikeval

Postby Razzo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:34 pm

T-Royale wrote:These are pics of my recently deceased WC Kasanga male formerly known as "Old Yellow". He was a 6"+ beautiful male with blue and yellow highlights in his fins and a killer yellow head. I really could never get good pics but i was able to salvage a few. He spawned three times with two broods having a few fry that grew to almost an inch within two months, while all the other fry were .25". I was able to keep one of the large fry alive only to come home after a week vacation to find him deceased stuck under a rock. I have 9 of his offspring from the last spawn that are currently in the 1.75" range. Hopefully a few males will grow just as glorious as Old Yellow was. Im feeling a little melancholy as I post these pics. R.I.P and LONG LIVE OLD YELLA!

He was awesome! Sorry for your loss :(
Razzo

Postby Razzo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:42 pm

StevenHing wrote:Image

Very nice Steven. That little comp fry looks like a snack to that frontosa.
Razzo

Postby StevenHing » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:34 pm

mikeval wrote:
StevenHing wrote:Managed to find some time to take some pictures. Sharing Pics of my Community Tanganyika Main tank consists mainly Alto Compressiceps.

Very Nice, what size tank you got, do you think it is the number of Alto's, like in an all male Malawi tank that you keep over crowded that is keeping the aggression down?

mine is a 5x2.5x2.5 approximately 235 gallon tank with a 4x1.5x1.5 sump fitration tank.... I think the dither fish helps a lot to keep the aggression down and lots of rockwork for covers, once a while when a female comp is in breeding mode, there will be a couple of male comp fighting to guard her shell, but I see no major fights.

the big males will be guarding their own small pile of rockwork sure... but there are other tangs inside that will keep the more aggressive comp in check. Probably over crowding could also be the reason.
StevenHing

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species