Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Post Pics of your Altolamps!

171K views 410 replies 107 participants last post by  Ram-Finatic 
#1 ·
I am sure this thread has been done before but I know everyone likes pictures as much as I do. So, please post a few favorite pics of your altolamps. It is OK to repost old favorite pics again too.

Also, please identify what species it they are!

Close ups are great and please post at least one full tank shot.

#2 ·
Below are a few pics of my Altolamprologus Compressiceps (Chataika Orange). I have six of them (2m/4f).

This is my favorite pic so far (one of my males).

Female guarding shell with eggs in it

My two males establishing who is the alpha

An old full tank shot

#10 ·
Nope, I hit him with everything under the sun. Ever here of a parasite that can withstand every antibiotic imaginable, copper (Heavy), Malachite green, Formalin, salt, Maracyn, Maracyn Plus, and hex-out!!!!! I'm frustrated just thinking about it.

#11 ·
BioG said:
Nope, I hit him with everything under the sun. Ever here of a parasite that can withstand every antibiotic imaginable, copper (Heavy), Malachite green, Formalin, salt, Maracyn, Maracyn Plus, and hex-out!!!!! I'm frustrated just thinking about it.
How long has your calvus had it? Could be a scab that will fall off.

Also, as I am sure you are aware, you gotta really watch the water quality real close with calvus. Really shouldn't go much past weekly water changes. Hope it clears up for ya.

Russ

#12 ·
You may be underestimating how obsessed with tangs and their husbandry I am razzo! :lol: It wipes right off like cottony fungus although it can't be because he's been treated EXTENSIVELY. I don't think I have ever had my nitrates post near 20ppm and all other parameters in check and stable, weekly (at leaste) %30 matched water. PH 8.5, KH 12 degrees, Ammonia- not dtectable but low, Hardness 300ppm.

it's got me. It's been 6 months and he's still got it. Not a tumor as it's removable, Maybe Lymphocystus but it's focused on one spot, doesn't spread and doesn't get worse over time.

to add to the list above include: Melafix, Pimafix, Praziquantel. Just about everything! I'm going to buy a microscope just because I can't stand not knowing what this thing is made of at least!

Sorry to hijack, I would start a new thread but I have so many on this topic that went unanswered so...

#18 ·
Nice pics JB and calvus JB (nice burundi frontosa you got there too).

I have a hard time id'ing altolamps when they are young. I can see that they are calvus, but what varient?

#19 ·
Hi all nice fish

I have 3 Altolamprologus calvus (Yellow)
One male 7cm and 2 females 5.5cm

I have had 3 spawns and 1000's of fry but have only managed to grow up 4 they are 1.5cm
Any info on raising the fry would be great.

Some pictures

#20 ·
Razzo said:
Nice pics JB and calvus JB (nice burundi frontosa you got there too).

I have a hard time id'ing altolamps when they are young. I can see that they are calvus, but what varient?
Thanks for the compliments. The individual I got them from bought them as F1 A. calvus "inkfin" from Reserve Stock Cichlids, but I'm not positive on their ID. The one in the second pic matches the description that RSC gives for their imported inkfins, but the other two (pics 1 & 3) stay much lighter in color. I believe they may be the A. calvus "BlackZambien" which RSC offers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.