Lake Tanganyika Species • Enantiopus Info/Tankmates?

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Enantiopus Info/Tankmates?

Postby 679x » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:31 pm

Looking for info about Enantiopus kilesa or melanogenys. I'm in the process of figuring out which fish I want for a new 4-foot 75 gallon tank I'm going to get. I quite like the Enantiopus species but can't find solid info about tankmates, their aggression levels, or how many to get.

I would like to house them with a shoal of Cyprichromis leptosoma, if I were to get Enantiopus. I'm assuming that's a good combo. But can I fit a third species in there, like a Neolamprologus of some sort? Could my 6 Julidochromis transcriptus thrive with them, or will they require too much rockwork throughout the tank, leaving less space for the Enantiopus?

How aggressive is this species to one another? Any experiences with it? I'm having trouble finding info about their aggression levels, and I'd like to know how many males/females could fit in a 75 gallon, but I suppose that could vary depending on the other tankmates.

Anyway, I'm mainly looking to know whether a 3rd species would fit with Cyprichromis leptosoma and Enantiopus kilesa.

Thanks in advance.
75 gallon: Tropheus Ikola, Julidochromis transcriptus, Synodontis petricola
20 gallon long: Neolamprologus multifasciatus
679x

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Enantiopus Info/Tankmates?

Postby whalebite » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:00 am

I have asked and researched some of your same questions. What I have gathered and been told, is they do best in a 6ft+ tank, however you can keep them in a 4ft. And it would be best with only 4 ft to give them the whole bottom, the males build these bowers to display in that are roughly 2 ft across, although in the species article here, it was hinted they can adjust to accommodate smaller spaces. They are said to be rather peaceful, even displaying males don't seem to inflict harm. I havn't gotten an exact number that you can get in a tank that small, you can't fit full bowers in the tank. I really can't see a downside to a single male, except you don't get to see two males displaying which I hear is impressive. They are also rather short lived, breeding for just over a year, after they become sexualy disactive, do they just sort of hang back while their progeny spawn? They other thing I would like answered, are they and other sand sifters better off with pool filter of play sand?
whalebite

Postby noddy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:01 am

Re: sand. I know that a lot of people keep sandsifters with pool filters sand but I personally would never use a silica sand with sand sifters as I have read that it can cause irritation to their gills because it is sharper than natural sand.
I always used play sand from H'D and have reccently switched out to Caribsea moonlight sand for my Cyathos.
P.S, having kept both Melanogenys and Kilesa, I wouldn't keep either in a 4' tank.
Possibly Kilesa in a 5 footer. The females are shoaling fish and need room to swim.
noddy

Postby 679x » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:04 pm

Ok, I guess I'll have to pass on the Enantiopus. That's why I'm loving this forum -- I can avoid so many potential problems lol.

Maybe I'll move my Multies into the new 75 gallon as a bottom dweller. Then I'll have their old tank as quarantine or fry raising.
75 gallon: Tropheus Ikola, Julidochromis transcriptus, Synodontis petricola
20 gallon long: Neolamprologus multifasciatus
679x

Postby Furcifer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:04 pm

I've been keeping kilesa for a long time with very fine sand(silica?), this is the only sand that can pass through gills which is natural behaviour of this fish. and none of them died because of a gill or breathing problem. Their coloration at the top of the head is unique and much more intense than any other freshwater species.Their nest building and courtship ise worth to watch for hours.

Enantiopus can be kept with Cyprichromis but in a 4 foot tank i don't recommend 3rd species. They are very peaceful fish and they love to jump from tank.
Caner Gunduz
Furcifer

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species