Lake Tanganyika Species • Options for replacing Julidochromis in a 55 community

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: triscuit, Floridagirl

Options for replacing Julidochromis in a 55 community

Postby Ptyochromis » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:43 am

I have discovered that my pair of J.marlieri is not a pair of J.marlieri but a pair of marlieri and regani. I am planning on getting rid of them and culling the fry. I would like to replace them with another rock spawner that is under 6". Any thoughts on what would be good to replace them with? My current stocking is 4 L.ornatipinnis and 11 C.leptosoma.
Ptyochromis

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Options for replacing Julidochromis in a 55 community

Postby orau22 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:52 am

Calvus?
orau22

Postby Fogelhund » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:00 am

Altolamprologus, Paracyprichromis, Julidochromis (ornatus, transcriptus, Gombe), Telmatochromis vittatus/bifrenatus would all work.
Fogelhund

Postby Ptyochromis » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:58 am

I have some A.comps in another tank, waiting for them to get some size on them before I introduce them into the 55. I have been looking at telmatochromis, I hear they are notorious egg/fry snatchers any truth to this? Also any idea what type of scape they prefer?
Ptyochromis

Postby Deeda » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:07 pm

I really liked the Julidochromis marlieri 'gombe' that i had for a couple years. Beautiful colors on the fish and mine bred like rabbits so I was able to share them with other hobbyists.
Deeda
Global Moderator

Postby Ptyochromis » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Deeda wrote:I really liked the Julidochromis marlieri 'gombe' that i had for a couple years. Beautiful colors on the fish and mine bred like rabbits so I was able to share them with other hobbyists.

I have found that my 'larger' julies were too aggressive for the tank. The female dominated a good half of the bottom of my tank, a good 10"+ past the rocks. I'm torn between a smaller species of juli, like dickfeldi or transcriptus. The 55 cookie cutter recommends N.buescheri, 12 of them :o. The article says they are reclusive, but their profile describes them as aggressive and CS:highly aggressive; dave is also selling them for $15 each. Kinda expensive imo, spent a ton on my cyps; im done with expensive fish lol.
I'm a big fan of little fish, was also considering Telmatochromis but it seams like they wouldn't fill the 'rock spawner' niche left by my julies.
Ptyochromis

Postby Fogelhund » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:41 am

The marlieri "Gombe" is a dwarf Julidochromis and would be fine. They are the same size as transcriptus.

Telmatochromis will use the rocks quite a bit, the female may choose to spawn in a shell in the rocks.
Fogelhund

Postby jtranscriptus » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:36 pm

I would either wait on your Comps/Calvus to grow up or go with some Julidochromis ornatus. Ornatus is the smallest of the Juli; if you get your hands on the congo yellow they are stunning.
jtranscriptus

Postby Ptyochromis » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Would it be feasable to keep comps with small julies? Or are they considered 'bite-sized'? To be honest, I was considering dickfeldi. I'm looking for something that will let my L.ornatipinnis use as much as the floor as possible. I know my larger julies would drive them about 10" away from the rocks, which caused some issues as the ornatipinnis like to have a large territory.
Ptyochromis

Postby Fogelhund » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:53 am

The small Julidochromis would not be eaten as adults, no worries there. J. dickfeldi might work, but the smaller Julidochromis have a better probability of working in a 55 gallon.
Fogelhund

Postby Floridagirl » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:47 am

I'd stick with Juli Ornatus or Gombe. Juli's are one of my favorite fish.
Too many fish to choose from, too few tanks!
Floridagirl
Global Moderator

Postby Ptyochromis » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:50 am

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcichlidst&1343273107 Does this look legit? Never heard of transcrup gombe
Ptyochromis

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:25 am

Without comment on the aquabid offering, gombe used to be sold as transcriptus and sometimes still are.
125G Aulonocara, Malawi Haps, Vics (trial), S Polli
75G Demasoni, Labs, Cyno hara, Met estherae, S Multipunctata
75G Calvus, Caudopunctatus, Cyp Kerenge, S Petricola
33G Neo omnicaeruleus; 33G Flameback Kisumu; 33G P nyererei Igombe; 33G Hap ruby green
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby FishFlake » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:04 pm

My Julidochromis marlieri Burundi have beautiful blue on their fins and breed like rabbits. Never observed any aggression problems. They occupy a large rock pile and a smaller second pile along with several black calvus. There are also cyps and shellies in the tank.
FishFlake

Postby Ptyochromis » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:27 pm

DJRansome wrote:Without comment on the aquabid offering, gombe used to be sold as transcriptus and sometimes still are.

Please comment :P . Do you think they are asking too much? I cannot trust my LFS anymore, unsure which companies are reliable.
Ptyochromis

Next

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species